Emersed grow-out in tupperware... need some advice please. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
Emersed grow-out in tupperware... need some advice please.

I have some eleocharis sp. belem I'd like to grow emersed. I picked up a tupperware container 12"x8"x3", have plenty of left over Amazonia AS and a couple CFL desk lamps. Seeing as my last attempt at a DSM started off pretty rocky, and this is a bit different than most DSMs (no plans to immerse) thought i would clear up a couple points first.

My questions -
#1. if this is purely for grow-out purposes, how deep should the aquasoil be?
#2. is there a need to fertilize at all? my assumption is no with the AS, but my assumptions are not to be trusted.
#3. How much (standing) water should there be?
#4. how often should i mist?
#5. length of photo-period. I read 12 hours, was wondering if that is still the standard.

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 01:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
1. An inch or two will be fine since the e. belem isn't a deep rooter.
2. If your aquasoil is old, then you may need to fertilize a little. Old tank water works perfect, especially if you are dosing ei in another tank, to mist plants. Miracle grow mixed to about 1/8 concentration works great also.
3. Just enough to be barely below the substrate line
4. It depends on how humid you keep your container. I've had emersed containers that I would mist once a week. I would at least do once a day until the e. belem goes from submersed to emersed growth. Pretty much until the leaves die and then resprout again.
5. 12 hrs sounds fine.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 01:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
^^^ what he said...

dhg takes FOREVER!!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 01:32 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
I saw your post over at the Barrreport. I'll post over here as well in case any other people were wondering
1. I'd say 3/4-1" would be plenty deep enough
2. Nope.
3. No standing water. The water line should be about 1/2" below the surface of the substrate.
4. No need to mist unless the leaves start wilting. Since there will be no slope to the substrate, there shouldn't be any dry areas in it. It should stay uniform in moisture all over.
5. With DSM, you could do anywhere from 10-16 hours. I am currently running my lights for 16 hours on my emersed tank.

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

nocturnalkid - . The AS i'm using is new, so no worries there. I didn't realize the leaves would die off initially, good to know. thanks for the info!

CL - Thanks for the response. i was hoping you'd post a reply... your emersed plants always turn out looking great, and i know you're currently growing belem.

One last question i forgot to add... I'll be using plastic wrap, is it best to completely seal it tight, or leave a small gap for air exchange?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 06:04 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

Seal completely with seran. I normally open mine partially for a bit so that I can spray the plants, but seeing you won't need to do this, you may want to open it once or twice a day to let some fresh air in.

-Chris

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 07:09 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
E. belem I've found is one of those plants that grow much more quickly submersed. A handful turned into a tankful in a few months... while emersed the leaves turned waxy and tough and grew very slowly not a single runner over the same time. My 2c.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 07:20 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaf View Post
E. belem I've found is one of those plants that grow much more quickly submersed. A handful turned into a tankful in a few months... while emersed the leaves turned waxy and tough and grew very slowly not a single runner over the same time. My 2c.
Hmm, that's odd. Do you know what your humidity levels were? Mine are near 100%, I'm sure, and the temp is around 76-78F.
7-01-10

7-11-10

7-22-10

7-27-10

-Chris

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 07:28 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
nevermind i wasn't thinking dhg for some reason. dhg does great emersed.

edit: whats that stem plant you have growing there?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Damn CL! I knew your tank was doing well, but thats seriously impressive for 4 weeks of growth.
Thanks again for the tips.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode