Just Ordered Supplies! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just Ordered Supplies!

Ordered 1.5 L of Matrix. What do you guys think of this bio media? Better than Hagen's Biomax (currently using)?

Also got my NPK pack from Seachem.

and... a Redsea CO2 reactor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 04:09 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
I would say it doesn't matter too much about the bio media. I have never used either kind that you listed, so I couldn't say.

But I love getting presents from myself in the mail. It's so exciting

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 05:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Got them both in my filters and all I can think of to say about them is biomedia is biomedia.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 06:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)
Gotta agree with the guys here, bio media is bio media. But surface area, now that is something different. More surface area means more bacteria. Also, what are you willing to spend?

At one end, you've got Eheim's Ehfisubstrat Pro with 18,300 sq. ft. per 1 US gallon. I really like this because I inherited a lot of it for free but most importantly it reminds me of Cocoa Puffs.

Then clear across the other end of the spectrum you have $5 per pound pumice (cinder stone) which has about 16 sq. ft. per gallon.

Here's a handy table comparing various medias. Pay no attention to the activated carbon!
Attached Images

"You are much better off with no numbers than meaningless ones. The minute you believe numbers uncritically, that is, without understanding how they're calculated and how well they measure whatever they're supposed to measure, you will generate a breed of employee who will produce numbers and not results. Your data-processing system will then serve not to describe reality but to lie about it."

-Micheal S. Montalbano
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 02:36 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukamikazu View Post
I really like this because I inherited a lot of it for free but most importantly it reminds me of Cocoa Puffs.
I love your priorities!

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 04:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
I love your priorities!
...And they don't soften up in milk!

"You are much better off with no numbers than meaningless ones. The minute you believe numbers uncritically, that is, without understanding how they're calculated and how well they measure whatever they're supposed to measure, you will generate a breed of employee who will produce numbers and not results. Your data-processing system will then serve not to describe reality but to lie about it."

-Micheal S. Montalbano
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the table. Thats good to know about the Ehfisubstrat Pro because SeaChem's Matrix states it has even more surface area!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 04:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukamikazu View Post
...And they don't soften up in milk!

but.. but... cocoa puffs makes choco milk!

-SF Giants WS champs-
Haters gonna Hate
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 04:54 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTeal View Post
but.. but... cocoa puffs makes choco milk!
Yes, and choco milk is awesome but mushy cereal? You have to pick and choose, find the balance and I have made my choice. I can't go back, now. I'm sorry.

-Micheal S. Montalbano
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 04:59 AM
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)
I love seachem matrix. I use it in my shrimp tanks and my betta tank. Just make sure you have good particulate filtration installed prior to your matrix, otherwise the matrix will just clog with detritus.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 05:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aGiantLeaf View Post
Thanks for the table. Thats good to know about the Ehfisubstrat Pro because SeaChem's Matrix states it has even more surface area!
Seachem Matrix is truly awesome stuff and it is what I ordinarily use. As I said, I got a ton of Ehfisubstrat Pro for free so I'm gonna use it until I run out.

By the way, is it just me or is it actually getting harder to find Matrix? It used to be everywhere, at least in Austin. Now, the pro shops don't seem to be getting it in hardly and when it does come in it gets snatched up. Marine Depot, Big Al's, Fosters & Smith can't seem to keep any amount of it for very long. I noticed Marine Depot has it again but it was conspicuous by its absence for months. Big Al's started carrying it again and now they even have the 4 liter tub. It's weird. Stuff is like a commodity some seasons.

-Micheal S. Montalbano
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 05:40 AM
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)
Yeah, there is only one LFS in my area that has it, and they are trying to charge 40 dollars for 1 liter. I bought it online for 12 dollars/liter and stocked up.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode