Couple of questions from a beginner - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/92%)
Couple of questions from a beginner

So I had fish tanks for years, everything from large 200+ gallon cichlid tanks to a 180g Reef full of SPS and clams. One thing I never took on was a planted.

Well I have been out of the hobby for a few years and am now stepping back in with a freshwater planted tank. I want to be sure I am covering all my bases and that I haven't missed anything. Once the tank is settled and isn't fluctuating I will be keeping mostly discus with a few other small fish.

Specs:

Tank - 75g w/ stand
I like this depth it allows for aquascaping and is large enough for the fish I intend to keep.

Lighting - 4 65w CF
2 are 10000k and 2 are 6700k, swapped out the actinic for the 6700k.

Filters - 2 ehiem 2213
Decided on 2 smaller filters because I want to be able to have the reactor just on one and this allows for more flow adjustment. Can add a PH if flow isn't enough for me.

C02 - pressurized
Using a DIY PVC reactor hooked up inline with one of the ehiems.

Substrate - 40lbs of Flourite and 40lbs of Eco-complete
I think it still looks a little thin but it is about 3" deep.

Hardscape - about 40lbs of bog wood
Using all wood and not much rock because I want to keep the water soft and acidic for the discus.

I am sure I am just diving into the deep end but I like challenges.

The few questions I have are;

Do I have enough light to keep red plants red?

I will adding staurogyne, HC and Java Moss this week. the tank has been running for a week but I used an already cycled filter which has rushed the cycle quite a bit. They will not be here until friday, so at that point the tank has been up for 2 weeks. Will this be safe or should I keep them in another tank for the time being? Picking up test kit on my lunch break so will know more tonight.

Right now the tank is at 78 degrees, of course once discus are added the temp will go up. I plan to keep it at 78 until I am ready to add them and increase the temp slowly. Will this help the plants since they can get a foot hold before the temp increase?

I have been reading like crazy about ferts, and have decided on using pfertz med-tech, possibly their high-tech package? Is this a good decision or would going a better route be adviced? I will be adding root tabs with certain plants.

I am going to limit light a bit at first so as not to have a massive algea out break but of course my plants response to lighting conditions will dictate that, good decision?

Thanks for the advice and I will be adding a tank journal soon as to get help as I go.

JR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 11:20 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Your plan sounds pretty good to me.

I personally would have gone with a T5HO fixture rather than CF (the newer technology is more energy efficient and less heat is absorbed into the tank), but I think your lighting puts you in the medium-high range.

I'd go ahead and add the plants as soon as you get them- the faster they're in place, the more quickly they become established and will start growing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I bought the CF hood for $40, so that is the reason for CF. Spent another $40 for new bulbs so can't complain.

Ok I will be adding them asap.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 01:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
My guess is that you will have something between low medium and high medium light. It depends on how good the reflectors are. With AH Supply reflectors you would get high medium and with most inexpensive light fixtures you would get low medium, at best, light.

I would always recommend using dry fertilizers, KNO3, KH2PO4 and CSM+B, following an EI dosing method. It is cheap, easy to do, and infinitely flexible.

Hoppy
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Where can I get dry ferts?

I have read the sticky article in the fert section and understand EI just not sure what and where to get it?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 01:40 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

www.aquariumfertilizers.com

www.greenleafaquariums.com

www.rexgrigg.com

... are just a few places.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you and my shopping spree continues haha....

do you think this will be enough light to keep red plants. I know they are much more light demanding.

Thanks
JR
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 01:48 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

Probably.

Depends on the plants and your CO2 and fert regimen- there's lots of different strategies for bringing out reds in different plants.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

ok well as long as my equipment can do it. I am going to go for it, its up to me to screw it up lol.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok just to be sure I have covered my bases, here is what I am ordering.

1 lb Plantex CSM+B
2 lb KNO3
1 lb KH2PO4
2 lb GH Booster

Thanks
JR
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 06:22 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Looks good.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 06:30 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to soundgy
I ordered the exact same thing you do from GLA. Except I didn't order GH booster, I don't understand what that is for. (Not saying you made a bad choice, I just don't know what it is)

Plus, I ordered Stemma for root tabs and Flourish Iron. As far as I know. You have everything right, but will need some Iron added in there. The ferts you have so far do not have any iron in them.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Re: Couple of questions from a beginner

The the boost claims to have some iron but just found out rexgriggs is very close so picking up iron also.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 09:45 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to soundgy
Quote:
The the boost claims to have some iron but just found out rexgriggs is very close so picking up iron also.
Oh ok, cool. I am not 100% sure if needed, but Stemma is also something I would get. GLA sells it. Really good for plants who take majority of nutrients from roots. It's a pill you put under the substrate right next to the roots.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 02:38 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

gH booster is mostly micros/trace, and probably not needed if you've got hard water.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode