after a short saltwater break.... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
after a short saltwater break....

I left planted tanks for a few months to embark on a nano reef tank, while that project is going good still i only had a 10g planted tank left....

so i bought a 40 breeder during petco's $1/gallon lol

question is lights, i have always dealt with T5HO lighting, however i can get what i consider to be a good deal on a power compact fixture, but not sure what I will end up with for growing

its a coralife 36" pc 1x96w it is currently set up for marine, but i can get a bulb for it for cost at my LFS. getting the fixture for $30, nothing wrong with it

so my question is over a 40b is that going to be considered low, med or high light? will it grow most plants? will it not?

my other option is to buy a new fixture, ie a deep blue 2x39w T5HO, but they run about $85 or the extreme 4x39w for $200

had some friends help me get back into planted lol, friend i met at my LFS a while back gave me 2 of the marineland 350 filters for the tank! good stuff, i was like, dude, they are rated for like 50g each, hes like, so you cant ever have too much filtering! haha, good stuff! another friend gave me an old heater, so im off again into the planted world!

Once a Marine, Always a Marine!
current tanks: 20L reef, 10g shrimp
wife's tanks: 40g Free-for-all planted community
If I post something stupid, its intentional!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 06:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Welcome back. 40b are pretty deep tanks if I'm not mistaken (front to back). You should be able to get some nice viewing depth with that tank. I don't know about 4x39W T5HO. I run half of that over my 65gal, and it's plenty enough light to grow anything I've tried so far.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 12:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
If you run with the 4X39 you'd probably only need to use 2 bulbs. I would use the 2 outer-most bulbs which would give you a decent space between them, but also should cover a 40B. You could even use an inner bulb to do a "mid-day" sun approach that I've seen many people do, not necessary. The 2X39 (of 4X39) watt equaling a total of 78 watts would be much brighter/more lumens then a 96W PC. Also I think you'd be getting more distributed light. t5ho lighting is amazing stuff, just hard to see that t5ho lighting has ALOT more lumen output.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
thanks guys, i was wanting to stick with T5HO, so i will be going with that!

i should prolly start a journal lol......

Once a Marine, Always a Marine!
current tanks: 20L reef, 10g shrimp
wife's tanks: 40g Free-for-all planted community
If I post something stupid, its intentional!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode