Some advice on tank situation - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Some advice on tank situation

Hi,

I was out of town for a few days and came back today to a tank of stinky dead fish. My hydor 300 watt heater got stuck on high...my fishies cooked. This is the second one that has failed on me the past several years. The previous time, it was a full tank of discus that got cooked. This time, it's a community tank of various tetras, cories, and other clean up crews...

What I need some help with is to figure out what I need to do with the tank. Do I need to completely tear the tank down and throw away all the plants? Basically start afresh?

It is a planted tank. I have managed to do plenty of water changes this afternoon to clean the tank up as much as possible but there still seems to have this film of grease/oil from the dead fishies that I can't completely get rid of.

Thanks in advance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Eheim 2217, Hydor Inline 300W heater, Coralife 2x96W PC Aqualight fixture (6700K+10000K), 5lb CO2 tank, JBJ regulator, Milwaukee pH Controller, DIY reactor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 04:10 AM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I would keep changing wter and start running A LOT of carbon
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 01:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

have you checked the ammonia levels?
it's not like there is a chemical poison that has seeped into the plants and substrate.
i would just look at the params, run some carbon in the filter and throw in a couple of test fish and see what happens. I would not fully restock all at once.
i also assume the plants made it relatively ok, make sure you remove all of the dead vegetation too...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the recommendation. I will check the parameters. The plants all made it fine. I will have to replant because it's a mess at the moment from the clean up. However, while doing the multiple water changes, the water level was brought low enough that the layer of grease/oil seem to have stayed on some of the leaves of the plants. Not sure what to do with that...

What will the carbon do? Is it going to take the oil out?

- Eheim 2217, Hydor Inline 300W heater, Coralife 2x96W PC Aqualight fixture (6700K+10000K), 5lb CO2 tank, JBJ regulator, Milwaukee pH Controller, DIY reactor.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 08:55 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Hi Hueyn

I'm sorry to hear about your losses!

After a close call I had with a supposedly top of the line titanium heater I got this controler and it I really like it. Had it for years now.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Aqua_Logi...FITETC-vi.html

Hope your tank recovers quick!

==(`'.(`'. .').')==
`..*Casie*..`
==(.'(.' `'.)`'.)==
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 04:11 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sorry for your lose,
I have recently gotten away from the titanium heaters all together. I have two in my saltwater tank that I have had for about 4 years now. They work just fine. I bought several for my newer planted tank and ended up returning six of them. At this point I said that's enough. I went with the Eheim glass heater this time. Now I have heard the same problem with these but it seems to be highly regarded as heaters go.
I would not personally trust a heater by itself these days. Too much junk out there. I use my Aquacontroller junior on the planted tank and the Aquacontroller 3 on the saltwater tank. They both have a temp probe and are very reliable and accurate. Also you can program language to prevent any disasters. The junior is not much more than a lot of the temp probe/controllers out there. I tried a few but all went back to the store. Some go back to factory settings after a power outage. Set to 83 degrees.
In short is is very disappointing that so much of what is offered in the aquarium industry these days is substandard crap. You get what you pay for and sometimes not even then. If you buy something that is garbage or doesn't perform up to your expectations-Return it!. Sooner or later manufactures will get tired of all these returns and stop producing junk. You work hard for your money and deserve quality products for it.
Sorry for the rant but this issue gets be burning.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 06:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Activated carbon tends to remove organic molecules. Yes, add AC to the filter, and change it out every few days for a week or so. When there is that much gunk in the tank the AC will get plugged up pretty fast.

I would use ammonia to keep the nitrifying bacteria alive, just as if you are doing a fishless cycle. I would not add fish food or a dead shrimp or prawn in this case.

Go ahead and replant, and perhaps do another water change while you are replanting to further remove any debris that is released into the water when you disturb the substrate. Continue doing as many water changes as you feel are needed to keep on removing the mess. Ultimately the microorganisms in the tank will help you with the removal. They simply need some time.

After a few weeks the water ought to be really clean again, and the nitrifying bacteria will have recovered. Do another water change to lower the nitrate level if needed. The fishless cycle can make the NO3 really high, but if the plants have recovered then the NO3 might be fine.
Then add fish.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 07:05 PM
Algae Grower

Agree with Diana.

Sorry about your fishies.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks! I will probably go ahead and get a temp controller this time around.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 07:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
I don't run heaters unless I absolutely have to, like you with the discus. When I have ran heaters, it's better to run three 100watt heaters in place of one 300watt heater. Heaters break, it's a fact of life.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode