For the love of MTS - Teaching S.O.'s to cope - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
For the love of MTS - Teaching S.O.'s to cope

Looking for sage advice re: MTS (multiple tank syndrome) and its impact on your loved ones...

My tanks include a 40 breeder in the living room, a 25-gallon Mr. Aqua cube and 2.5-gallon shrimp tank in the bedroom, and a 10 gallon in the kids' room. Of course, I need more and I want to go big. Being married to a woman with a sixth sense for detecting and heading off my bull**** plans--a la Ralph Kramden--I need to make a strong case for yet another tank. Further, I need to convince her that a 40-gallon tank is not a "huge" tank. It's about perspective, and she doesn't have it.

How do the MTS sufferers among you convince your husbands, wives, girlfriends, etc. of the need for all of your tanks? If you have large tanks, how does your sig-other feel about the size of the tank(s)? I'm looking for an angle here.

Thanks.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 01:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
Maybe break down the 40g to get something bigger, but don't sell the 40g, just put it in storage...and then a few months from now, set it up in a corner of the house while the wife is out.....and buy her something pretty before she sees the tank.

I did that. Not maliciously, it's just kind of how things worked out. Broke down 4 tanks, then set up a 120g, and I've started rebuilding from there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
__
__
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 01:48 AM
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)
Yes, it involves a lot of gifts and setting up tanks while she's out with the girls. I even have cleaned the house once to set up a new tank.

She's really going to love my plans for a 6 foot arowana tank in the bedroom, muahaha. But that's when I can afford a 6 foot tank

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 02:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

The thing is, it's much easier to "talk" her into another "smaller" tank, so setting back up the 40g AFTER having had a 125g for several months won't be nearly as difficult as trying to upsell her on the 125g as an addition. Sell it as a "replacement"

I've got the itch for a bigger tank. Just saw some pictures of a 265g. But I'm happy with my 120g for now.

__
__
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 02:33 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Be a man just do it!!

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 02:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsonaaron View Post
Be a man just do it!!
Says the man that's not married.

__
__
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 02:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhart View Post
right!

i managed to have my own room in the basement. its my room and i can put whatever i want in there and she doesnt care as long as she doesnt have fish tanks in the living room anymore.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 02:51 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhart View Post
lol

I've got kind of a small place, so I try to keep the MTS to a minimum. My wife has a similar personality as me: we both have to sit on an idea for a while to become comfortable with it. It seems like if we both think out loud things are less of a surprise. It helps her let me spend too much on fish tanks and computers. Plus, I usually need a while to get used to the thought that a visit to the in-laws trumps my beach getaway.

Breaking down a smaller tank or two seems like pretty sage advice to me. Man caves are also helpful for toys.

- three years old at this point

My
- retired

The 50 Gallon
- retired

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode