Help me get rid of my mosquitoes... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help me get rid of my mosquitoes...

Long story short, had a extra plant clipping, placed it in a 18" tall by 6" diameter glass vase (around 2 gallons water). For substrate I used some gravel that had been in small pots in my pond. It is just a small setup for a few extra plant clippings, simple desk style halogen light with a small air pump I had lying around for water circulation.

A few days after I set it up I began noticing mosquitoes on my walls near the vase. I figured that since the gravel was in the pond there must have been a few eggs/larva whatever, so I put handy-wrap over the top to keep them from getting out. So far that is working fine, but about two weeks old and every day there are 4-5 new mosquitoes in that I see above the waterline. I dont know the reproductive habits of mosquitoes, but either the gravel still has larva/eggs in it, or the mosquitoes can lay the eggs as soon as their hatched???

Is there a plant safe and effective way to get rid of them, I can simply leave it covered, but my intention was to have the top open. I would rather not try fish as it is not filtered and I already have two other tanks, so a third full setup isn't an option at the moment.

Last edited by jwm5; 07-22-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 05:16 PM
Banned

PTrader: (105/94%)
I would just keep it covered. If they do not have food (blood), they will eventually die off.

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 05:18 PM
Nue
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I wonder if H202 would work (Hydrogen Peroxide)

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 05:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
I would take it outside and rise the whole thing out and the gravel as well. I would not want mosquitoes in my house.

Eheim Pimpin 225

--GTO--
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 05:57 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I'd scoop out all the larvae and feed them to your fish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 06:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
+1 on feeding. I actually leave buckets of RO water out in the woods for this reason. Twice a week I collect, feed some live then rinse the rest in cheese cloth with RO water and freeze them.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 06:11 PM
Nue
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
+1

Nice treat for your fish. My water garden was full of them, and I added 2 gold fish, now there is none.

I wouldn't put a gold fish in a 2 gallon, though.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 06:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmowbray View Post
+1 on feeding. I actually leave buckets of RO water out in the woods for this reason. Twice a week I collect, feed some live then rinse the rest in cheese cloth with RO water and freeze them.

I'm glad we're not neighbors.

- three years old at this point

My
- retired

The 50 Gallon
- retired
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Mosquitoes main diet isn't blood. It's only the females that will take a blood meal but it's not necessary for their survival. I do believe the proteins that blood supplies are needed to reproduce. In some areas they are a dominant species for pollination.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 06:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
sounds like your vase needs to become a betta bowl

SunSun Pimp #2
Fluval Ebi Pimp #4
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 06:58 PM
Algae Grower

You might try BT (Bacillus thuringiesis) which is a bacteria that attacks larval mosquitoes. It is commonly used to prevent rain barrels from becoming mosquito breeding grounds. Certain strains are also used by organic gardeners to control some kinds of garden pests. It targets a pretty narrow range of organisms so your plants (or any other wildlife) should be fine. It may not be worth the effort to find some, but you may have luck at a garden supply store. Just make sure you get a product that is intended to be used for aquatic control of mosquitoes.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks for the comments, I will try just keeping the top on. I open it a little and kill the mosquitoes I can reach, but the thing is I dont really see any larva, I may see a few, but there is not a bunch floating so there is nothing to scoop out. I have a pair of bettas in my 20g, but I dont want to move them, and the cylinder was never meant to house fish, so I dont want to buy a new betta as it will then need a permanent home once the mosquitoes are gone.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 07:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboij View Post
sounds like your vase needs to become a betta bowl
My thoughts exactly.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 07:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Can you see the larvae and pupae swimming around in the vase? I thought I had them emerging from one of my tanks but I never saw larvae. Turned out the seal was gone around one of the windows in my dorm room and the skeeters were flying in at night and sitting on the wall lit by the tank lights. duh
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 07:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Like others have said, its a great food. Almost any fish that can fit it in its mouth will eat it. Labyrinth fish (bettas and guoramis) will scarf em. Also guppies and just about any live bearer will take care of it.

You could always get a mosquito fish! They are the best mosquito larva hunters. I use them in mini ponds.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode