When to use Seachem Flourish? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
When to use Seachem Flourish?

Hi all, I'm new to setting up a planted tank. Just finished setting up the tank today. I'm not sure what plants I bought because the LFS doesn't label them. Those that were tied to driftwood I left tied, those that were in pots I removed and planted in the soil.

I also bought Seachem Flourish on the advice of the LFS. My question is, do I dose the tank now with the flourish or wait for a few weeks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 11:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
You can start dosing as per the bottles instructions.

If you can put up pictures of the plants I'm 100% postive that people can help you out and tell you what they are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 12:27 PM
tug
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Never! Just kidding, the dose depends on your tank size. The larger the tank the more expensive Seachem becomes and dry fertilizer (KNO3, KH2PO4, CSM+B) becomes a more attractive option. Start adding fertilizer right away, but Seachem Flourish is primarily a nutrient source for trace. Depending on what else you have going on (light, CO2, GH, etc.) you are going to need macronutrients as well. Fish and fish food can provide some nutrients, but you might want to add a GH booster like Equilibrium with your water change. Personaly, I find the directions with some Seachem products diffucult to understand. This link will take you to a nutrient calculator. http://www.fishfriend.com/fertfriend.html
Now, decide what your goals are, high tech/high light, low tech/low light, etc. Good luck.

Roll Your Own.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I dose twice a week, once on Saturday after the 50% w-c and once on Wednesday. Only problem being it's the only thing I dose as of right this second so my plants are only getting half of what they need fert wise.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tug View Post
Never! Just kidding, the dose depends on your tank size. The larger the tank the more expensive Seachem becomes and dry fertilizer (KNO3, KH2PO4, CSM+B) becomes a more attractive option. Start adding fertilizer right away, but Seachem Flourish is primarily a nutrient source for trace. Depending on what else you have going on (light, CO2, GH, etc.) you are going to need macronutrients as well. Fish and fish food can provide some nutrients, but you might want to add a GH booster like Equilibrium with your water change. Personaly, I find the directions with some Seachem products diffucult to understand. This link will take you to a nutrient calculator. http://www.fishfriend.com/fertfriend.html
Now, decide what your goals are, high tech/high light, low tech/low light, etc. Good luck.
Do I really need macronutrients? I googled online, and there's a post from seachem (http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertilizer/flourish.html) that says if we have fish then the small amounts of NPK in flourish should be enough. My tank is a 28Gallon, by the way.

Quoted from that post -

"Seachem supplies an NPK source in its Flourish, however the levels
we set in the product are meant to complement the other natural
sources (here I'm referring to P & N) of these elements. If you have
even a few fish in your planted tank they should provide sufficient
levels of nitrogen and phosphorous. One advantage with Flourish is
that the nitrogen source is in the form of amino acids which are
utilized as preferentially as ammonia is and even if the amino acids
are broken down by bacteria, it is broken down in to ammonia first
which can be utilized by the plants as well. The amount of these
constituents that we put in Flourish is enough to be of a benefit but
not so much that if you have a number of fish you are not going to be
adding an excess of N & P if you are using Flourish. If you have no
fish at all and no other non plant species, then the amount of N & P
in Flourish is probably not going to be sufficient (of course
depending on the number and size of your plants)... in this case a
good economical approach would be to either get a couple of
inexpensive fish or add a bit of an ammonia solution (IMHO).

Gregory Morin, Ph.D. ~~~~~~~Research Director~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Seachem Laboratories, Inc. www.seachem.com 888-SEACHEM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 05:26 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
The key question is- how much light are you running over your tank?

Light is what drives plant growth, and growth rate is what determines nutrient needs.

I don't ever dose anything on my own tanks- but that's because I run low light tanks and rely on my bioload to supply the plant needs. Only thing my plants ever get is whatever they can obtain from the substrate and the occasional root tab.

If you're running more light, then you probably won't be able to get away with that.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My lights are about 2 watts per gallon.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 06:18 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
What kind of lighting do you have? 2 WPG is quite meaningless without knowing the type of light. For example, 2 WPG of T12 lighting is quite different from 2 WPG of T5HO lighting.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Its T5 lighting
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 01:16 PM
tug
Planted Tank Obsessed

The simple answer to your question is yes and don't wait two or three weeks. Whether or not you should add nutrients is not the question. How much you need to dose is. Nothing is written in stone, the dosage you should be adding to supplement the nutrients coming out of your tap water and from the fish load will vary.
  • Have you looked at your local water quality report?
  • What soil are you using for a substrate?
  • What size tank did you say you have?
  • How many fish do you have?
  • What type of plants do you keep?
  • What wattage is listed on the bulb you have?
    Sorry, I need to ask. I once worked with someone who thought they had 2wpg when they had around 6wpg.
  • Is the light T5HO or T5NO?
  • Are you going to be adding CO2?
You have very good lighting (if it's 2wpg of T5HO), more then you need without a CO2 setup.

For example, at weeks end my nitrate levels are around 20ppm and my phosphate levels are around 4ppm. I have an average number of fish. I like fish, but don't like to crowd them out. I feed fairly heavily and perform weekly water changes. My tap water has 2ppm of phosphate and I dose an additional 1ppm daily for five days. I also dose about 4.4ppm of nitrate on the same days. It's going somewhere. It must be. Of course I do inject CO2 so that helps. I would look at the Fishfriend calculator and see if you are adding anything close to 1/2 what I dose. Answer some of the questions people have asked as completely as you can and you can get through this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redryder View Post
Do I really need macronutrients?

Roll Your Own.

Last edited by tug; 07-24-2010 at 01:50 AM. Reason: spelling
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redryder View Post
Its T5 lighting
T5NO or T5HO? What brand fixture?

Are you dosing CO2 on the tank?

If so, DIY or pressurized?

Do you have a drop checker to measure your CO2 levels?

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode