----------48--10k----- --------36--10k----
----------48---Gro---- --------36--10k----
Bank 2
--------36---10k--- ----------48---Gro----
--------36---10k--- ----------48---10k----
I figure I'll have bank 1 kick on at 10:00 and off at 9:00
bank 2 will kick on at 12:00 and off at 7:00
the lights are retros and mounted about 16 inches off the surface of the water

My system is drilled and I will be using my sump, plan to run only about 500 GPH through it so as to not disturb the water too much, with a split return in the tank

I currently have a pair of Koralia 2's and I plan to place one at each end of the tank for some extra flow

substrate is going to be pure flourite, 50/50 mix of brown and red

no Co2 system, going to dose with trace ferts

plants are going to be a mix of stems, swords, anubias and java ferns, crypts and dwarf baby tears (HC i believe is the right abr.)

fish will be small schoolers like neons and hq rasboras along with some bigger fish like gouramis and angels.

I am really trying to keep this tank as low maint as possible, I'll be doing 50 gallon WC's once a month

what does everyone think?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 64
90 Gallon Low light/Easy Maintenance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 10:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Nothing better than a large tank with lots of very small fish in my opinion. I just don't know about going without CO2. You will have to watch the light levels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 10:36 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I'm pretty sure you're only going to end up running one bank of bulbs for a very short photoperiod without CO2 on this tank. I'd actually downgrade to T5NOs rather than T5HOs if you're sure you want to stay low tech.

I'd also stagger which rows of bulbs are on your banks for better light coverage when you're only running one bank of bulbs, like this:

Row 1 = bank 1
Row 2 = bank 2
Row 3 = bank 1
Row 4 = bank 2

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unforunatly the Retros are 2 bulb units so I cannot stagger them like you mentioned, however I do have another Idea, which would be to run the back bank from 10:00 to 3:00 and the front bank from 2:00 till 9:00, that somewhat simulate the sun moving during the day as well as only have both banks running for 1 hour of the day to simulate the brightest part of the day.

Member # 64
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 10:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
You have WAY too much light...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 11:14 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I agree about the CO2, spare on the lights and spend on the gas.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I already have the lights from my reef system so its more of making them work for my scenario. Thats why I think running them in alternating patters will work best, then I will only ever have 2 rows of T5's running at one time, plus the bulbs will last twice as long.

Member # 64
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 02:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I probably wouldn't turn the sump pump down, no reason to limit circulation. Just cover the sump and have the intake to the sump under the surface so there isn't any turbulence.

Lights are going to be over 3 feet from the substrate. I start by running half the lights at a time for a total of 8 hours though, the other half of the tank will still be lit somewhat anyway. Hours you are in the room with the tank I might have all the bulbs lit up though. I do like to see what is in the tank.

Distance from substrate to bulb makes a big difference.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...t5-t12-pc.html

Hope Hoppy sees this, but I think your plan is fine.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 04:25 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonesCJ View Post
Unforunatly the Retros are 2 bulb units so I cannot stagger them like you mentioned, however I do have another Idea, which would be to run the back bank from 10:00 to 3:00 and the front bank from 2:00 till 9:00, that somewhat simulate the sun moving during the day as well as only have both banks running for 1 hour of the day to simulate the brightest part of the day.
That sounds like a workable plan to me.

And turbulence in your sump isn't an issue if you're not injecting CO2 into the tank in the first place, so no worries there.

I agree that you'll want lots of flow in the tank, you want to avoid dead spots in planted tanks same as in reef tanks- just in planted tanks, the plants themselves will block flow as they fill in so you've got one more dynamic to work with.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 08:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jjp2
just a point of reference... I have a 135 with 2 banks of T5HO, each bank as 2 bulbs for a total of 4 bulbs (5ft 80w each) and pressurized CO2. I only run 1 bank of lights at a time as I found this was too much light.

I would go with either the T5NO, only 2 bulbs of T5HO, or T8 lighting with no CO2. Which ever you choose, ensure you space them so you have light over the full tank.

John

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I am going to go with having only 2 bulbs on at a time but switching between banks halfway through the day.

Member # 64
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 01:24 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

I'd also start with about an 8 hour total photoperiod (~4 hours each bank) and adjust from there.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here are 2 pieces of Manzanita that I just ordered, should be here on monday to start soaking

Piece 1 G16

Piece 2 F14

Member # 64
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Those are some great peices!

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode