Marineland LED vs. T5 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Marineland LED vs. T5

first off, new to the forum.

i used to have a beautiful 80 gallon planted tank a few years ago. had to give it away to a family friend because of job constraints. now that i'm more settled, i'm going to be putting together another tank setup, but this time a rimless cubed 70 gallon.

here's my question: how effective is LED lighting? i know all the benefits in terms of energy usage, less heat, etc, but is it just as effective for the plants? the one that i'm looking into is the Marineland Double Bright LED Fixture. here are the specs:

LED Lighting Features:
17,000 Lifetime Hours
Slim stylized lighting profile
Illuminated by energy efficient LED's (75 Lumens per 1 watt LED)
(6) 1W Daylight LED's Totaling 450 Lumens
(3) Lunar LED Lamps

Additional features:
Three Mode On/Off Switch: Allows you to provide a variety of lighting profiles including daytime, lunar and off positions.
Single Power Source: Low voltage power supply increases safety and peace of mind. Less cords, less clutter.
Flexible Mounting System: Stylish yet adjustable mounting legs offer flexibility in tank sizes. Adjustable to fit tanks 18" to 24" wide.
Polycarbonate Lens Shimmer Effect: Mimics underwater effect of sunlight

any help or advice on this would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 10:37 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I don't think LED lighting has come along enough to be on the level of T5 ho lights yet. I have the marineland fixture and I love it, but it is only being used for moss balls and airplants.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by F22 View Post
I don't think LED lighting has come along enough to be on the level of T5 ho lights yet. I have the marineland fixture and I love it, but it is only being used for moss balls and airplants.
could you explain why?

just wondering what the reason would be. lumens are inadequate? something else?

i had a T5 HO with my last tank, and these weren't an option then.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 10:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
check out this thread, and see post #6. i believe youre asking about the exact same fixture

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...-lighting.html

~ Jose

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 10:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Simple, the up-front price per lumen is much higher.

Over time, you'll save money on electricity due to higher LED efficiency, and some more on replacement bulbs; but the payback period to offset the initial investment is still many years.

And that's assuming the LED fixture will even last that long. I've had several LED lighting products (not aquarium related) that failed or lost significant brightness long before they should have.

Finally, you might decide to change something that requires a different lighting scheme; long before the LED fixture pays for itself.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 10:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by F22 View Post
my local fish store has some serious LED fixtures they use on their planted and reef tanks. they are stupid bright. but they are not cheap, a 4ft fixture will cost you somewhere around the neighborhood of $1500-2000!

~ Jose

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode