What causes haze on the surface of the water? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
What causes haze on the surface of the water?

The water itself seems clear, but the surface has a film over it.

non ducor duco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 09:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Usually it's protein scum.
It could be some aloe vera from your de-chlorinator as well. Just one more reason most of us use Seachem Prime or Chloram-x. No extra additives.

You can siphon it off with a piece of air line tubing.
Float a piece of paper toweling on the top and lift it off.
Agitate the water surface.
Sometimes a fine mesh net will skim the scum.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 09:27 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
it's a natural protein scum from bacteria and such, not necessarily from aloe vera. I use prime and I still get it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 10:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
I hate it!! I can only see it if I'm looking from the ground up into the tank. So if you remove it it's just going to keep coming back, correct?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 10:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
i get it too. it could be protein film, it could be eisenbateria

i think a major cause of it is flake food
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 10:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

surface agitation usually keeps it at bay.

what works excellent at removing and keeping away is this http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...3&pcatid=12703
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 10:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwag2001 View Post
i think a major cause of it is flake food
Can't be. I have no fish in my tank and I'm not putting any flake in; only fertz., excel and CO2.

post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 10:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

maybe not for you. i gave you two other possible reasons that could be for you

i definately blame it on food sometimes. especially the omega foods that promote that they are a "natural protien" formula. its like 50% protien or something like that. they advertise that they use whole salmon (including salmon skin, which is oily as far as i know) plus all of the vitamins that are in it, including vitamin e (same as aloe?)

i'm not saying its your cause of it, i just blame it in most cases
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I guess it could be any of those reasons. But, I have been feeding the same food, dosing with pfertz, and using the same dechlorinator for a year now, and this is the first time I've had this film on the waters surface.

non ducor duco
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 02:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

just increase surface agitation and it should subside
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 03:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
love my sunsun for having the surface skimmer, i have this issue mainly only in the summer months

SunSun Pimp #2
Fluval Ebi Pimp #4
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 12:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboij View Post
love my sunsun for having the surface skimmer, i have this issue mainly only in the summer months

My Sunsun won't suck mine off. It's like the float sinks too far in the water and it sort of makes a water swirl but then stops. When I raise it up just a little bit like maybe 2mm it does and amazing job. Is your tube completely filled with water up to the surface? When I raise the tube the water level drops inside and that's when I get good skimming. I kind of has a waterfall effect into the tube and them the scum goes with the water down. When it's sitting on the surface normally the water goes in but the scum just avoids it and continues its' journey.

post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 01:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmowbray View Post
My Sunsun won't suck mine off. It's like the float sinks too far in the water and it sort of makes a water swirl but then stops. When I raise it up just a little bit like maybe 2mm it does and amazing job. Is your tube completely filled with water up to the surface? When I raise the tube the water level drops inside and that's when I get good skimming. I kind of has a waterfall effect into the tube and them the scum goes with the water down. When it's sitting on the surface normally the water goes in but the scum just avoids it and continues its' journey.
initially i took sand paper too the little teeth on the skimmer to clean em up mine had lots of scrap plastic from the casting.

and yes mine has the same 2mm drop down the tube, i only notice this not there when it has became clogged, ive noticed also that if the water level is to low it seems to not work as well, but when the water level is higher so the floating part is just a little bit on the tube it slides on it works the best. I would try moving your intake down a bit deeper so the slide floats higher on the tube

SunSun Pimp #2
Fluval Ebi Pimp #4
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

does your skimmer not allow you to adjust it? the one i mentioned from dr foster smith is adjustable
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 04:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboij View Post
I would try moving your intake down a bit deeper so the slide floats higher on the tube
Mine is floating so that's just on the section of pipe that doesn't move. I think the skimmer is sinking into the water to much. Because the water going into the skimmeris just sitting there. Mine in like the picture on the left in the attached pdf. where the water level is the same height in the tube and the aquarium. When I raise it like the pic. on the right so the skimmer is a tad higher than the water line it works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwag2001 View Post
does your skimmer not allow you to adjust it? the one i mentioned from dr foster smith is adjustable
It automatically adjusts itself, it floats and plays off the water height.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf skimmer.pdf (44.0 KB, 40 views)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode