Thought 10 gal was a 20 gal - overkill? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thought 10 gal was a 20 gal - overkill?

So I apparently thought my 10 gallon was a 20 gallon. It looked that big compared to my other 10 gallons but apparently stupid me forgot to measure it. I set it up as a 20 gallon... ._. This is my first real planted tank and I fear I have done overkill in terms of lighting. Would it be fine if I kept the conditions as is?

Dimensions: 12" high, 20" wide, 10" long
Substrate : silica sand 3-4" layer
Lighting: 2x 60W 6500k compact fluorescent bulbs (is this 6WPG? or 12WPG [overkill] because of the 2 bulbs?) Also, I know that the WPG "rule" doesn't really apply to this small a tank
Fish : 1 male betta, 5 brilliant rasboras, 2 peppered corys
Plants : 1x Fist sized portion of java moss; multiple stems of cabomba; multiple stems of hygrophila polysperma; 1 group plant of java fern
Ferts: none, DIY Co2

The plants seem to be pearling but there is algae growth on the leaves of the hygrophila polysperma and a little bit on the walls of the tank. What do I add/remove? D:. One more question. Could I have a carpeting plant such as glossostigma with this high light?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 03:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Those bulbs are not 60 watt bulbs, but 14 watt, as I recall. So, you have two of them mounted horizontally (?) about 10 inches above the substrate. If all of that is what you have, you probably have low medium to medium light at the substrate. You should be dosing a full menu of nutrients - see the sticky on the fertilizing forum for what to dose and how much.

Hoppy
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 04:06 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I'd also use some Excel to help kill the algae you've got going.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 01:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I used Marsilea in my 10 gallon tank that was set up similar to yours and it didn't grow into as nice a carpet as in the big brightly lit tank. Why don't you wait and see how compact your Hygro and Cabomba grows to see if you think glosso would be worth putting in?

Agree, use just a bit of all the nutrients and some Excel and your tank should clean up nicely. As soon as you have enough clean growth on the hygro consider pulling the algae ridden plants, topping and replanting the clean tops. I read that algae covered leaves are old and 'leaky' and not contributing to the plant's health. Plus the tank looks better with less clean growth than it does with lots of algae ridden growth!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 08:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jjp2
This is quite common thinking a tank is bigger than it really is. I have the same problem with my 135 and hate when I have to thin plants.

John

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Will getting the nutrients etc set me back a lot? They look expensive... If I am correct I need Seachem excel, nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium? I am in the process of rescaping the tank right now. Took all of the plants out and am going to replant it.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 03:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
You can either buy a bottle of NPK and micros for about $5 each or you can spend the same amount of money and have dry NPK+micros for life. Try putting a shout out on the Swap n Shop here for a package with small amounts. Then put in 2 pinches of nitrate and 1 pinch of phosphate and micros at water changes and done. Except don't really take pinches. Phosphate on a wet cut is not a good thing.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 04:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
I spent $18 shipped from http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/in...ditU=1&Regit=2 for a pound each of KNO3, K2SO4, and MPK (KH2PO4), and I'll be using at most 1/4 tsp a day on my 29 gallon.

Ferts will help you out a lot. IME, it's one of those things you kind of need. I do have a small tank that I don't dose fertilizers in, and it looks nice, but it has minimal light, and the plants don't really grow much. In my other tanks that have higher lights, I tried to save some money and not dose as much ferts as I should have been. Result: algae and plants rank with deficiencies. Now that I'm dosing the ferts at the level they should be, my plants are making a comeback and the algae is going away (with a little help from trimming and h2o2 spot treatments).

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Rita Mae Brown

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update: I've taken a "Canadian redneck" approach and replaced the hood with a piece of glass. Moved the HOB filter and Heater to the side, feeding the DIY Co2 tube through the HOB to let the impeller take care of diffusion. I took a light fixture from one of my other tanks, on which the light was purely for aesthetics. So now I have 2 light fixtures, 2x 13W 6500k in one, and 2x 13W "cool white" bulbs in the other; totalling 52 Watts. Will this be a good idea in the long run? I might grab some ferts from LFS this weekend.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Pics:

@Captivate : I'd have to pay $24 shipped for a pound each of those 3. Will I need them? and are they the right ones for my tank? I don't have much - ANY - experience with ferts.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update: The water has cleared and I see NO ALGAE! The hygrophila polysperma is now growing pinkish leaves, this is a good sign, right? Will my tank be able to support glosso? or maybe dwarf hairgrass... I'd like to have a nice carpet of plants over the substrate. any suggestions?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 04:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Dwarf hairgrass would easily do fine I would think. It grows better with CO2, but will grow fine without it, just much slower.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode