Driftwood selection - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
Driftwood selection

Well basically I need some driftwood. I think I am leaning towards some Malaysian driftwood since I already tried manzanita in my other tanks. One question I have randomly is has anyone ordered a malaysian driftwood piece for fosters and smith, and if so any pics and were you satisfied with how it looked?

Also, are there any wood types you would recommend for my newest tank. Right now I just have sand in it, it is a 46 bowfront that is housing a pair of angels, and I want just one nice good sized centerpiece driftwood. Any suggestions for what may look nice?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Algae Supporter #1 (BBA) - Rena Filstar #150 (XP3/XP2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 09:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've used the regular aquarium driftwood from various LFS over the years. Right now I'm in the process of redoing my planted tank, and I bought mopani driftwood.

It's a lot bolder looking that the usual stuff, but I wanted to try something that didn't need to be weighted down. Mopani is so dense that it sinks.

I'm still in the process of soaking it to get the tannins out, so I don't know what the final result will look like, but I am expecting spectacular results.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I got my wood from a guy here on PT, his name is Rod and he is very willing to help you find the right piece. His thread on the SNS is right here https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sw...hipped-tn.html

Check it out, the wood is amazing and looks extremely natural. Hope this helps!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/92%)
I got a nice chunk of malaysian driftwood from aquariumplants.com a couple of months back- don't know what they have at the moment, but I was really pleased with what I got from them- actual pictures of individual pieces w/dimensions were then available on the website, FWIW.

"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook." -William James

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 08:12 PM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akdmks View Post
I got my wood from a guy here on PT, his name is Rod and he is very willing to help you find the right piece. His thread on the SNS is right here https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sw...hipped-tn.html

Check it out, the wood is amazing and looks extremely natural. Hope this helps!
+1

He has some AMAZING pieces. And they're very reasonably-priced.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 02:41 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
+2 on Rod's driftwood. I just received 2 pieces last week and they are amazing. Keep in mind these pieces need to be waterlogged again or affixed to a piece of rock to hold them down (unlike Mopani or other more dense wood). Good news is that Rod's wood leeches almost no tannins!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 02:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
+3 on Rod's wood. lol

Great looking pieces. Mines been soaking for 6 days without a water change in the container. Water is still nearly as clear as fresh water. Downside is it might take another week or so to solve the buoyancy issues. lol

I can't imagine buying wood without seeing a picture of the actual piece.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode