Recommendations for 95gal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Recommendations for 95gal

Hey guys,

first thread and all so please be kind. Just asking your opinions on lighting for my tank.

Its a 360 litre which i think turns out as 95 gal. The dimensions are 48 l x 20 w x 24 h.

So far i have organised a dupla co2 system with magvalve. Filtration will consist of a xp3 and soon to come eheim 2026. Heating will be a 300watt jager.

Substrate will be about 2 inches of redsea substrate and 1-2 inches of 2mm gravel.

I have asked around and get mixed input into which lighting would be better. I was originally looking at a MH unit with 2 150 watt bulbs, purely because i like the effect it provides. Alternatively i was looking at a quad hoT5 unit.

Looking at many of the threads here, most seem to prefer the T5 option. However going on the watt per gallon theory the T5 do not fit the equation.

any opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 01:31 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Welcome to the site.

The WPG doesn't really work for large or small tanks and anything outside of t-8 bulbs. It's a way for people to give other people really rough ideas of how much light is needed.

2-3 54Watt T5HO bulbs (48") might work for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok great. Are there any reasons why i shouldn't go metal halides?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 01:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I have 2 - 150 metal halides over my 60x18x24" tank. Bright. Very bright. I love it and am willing to accept the daily fertilizing, weekly major water changes, twice a month major weed pulling and small amounts of algae.

If you are new to plants and just want to grow nice ones you don't need MH. I have wanted to grow nice plants since I got my first tank with a single incandescent bulb and failed for decades and am perfectly happy being chained to my tank.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 02:34 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
MH can get pretty hot too. It's not energy efficient.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 07:37 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I use a 2x 54w T5 fixture on my 90 gallon (nearly the same dimensions as yours), and have to keep the photoperiod down to about 5-6 hours a day or I get algae. Metal halides would require lots of ferts, lots of CO2, and LOTS of trimming!

Nicole
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok. Thanks everyone. I just picked up an odyssea 4x54watt unit. Will get it set up tonight and see how it goes.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 01:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

I can see you already got something, so this post may be moot.

I run two 150w MHs on my 90 gal tank. As of now, I don't use CO2 on it, and only do fertilizing about one a month. I don't have an algae problem either, even with the photo period about 8 hours a day. I still have to remove a bucket of plant growth from time to time. So it can be done.

MH's do get hot, and this is part of the down side, but because they use a different method to produce light, they really are not a lot less energy efficient than T5's, VHO's or other fluorescents set up to give the same amount of light.

I can't help but wonder if any of the others here that are critical of MH lighting ever actually used it.

I'm trying to say that it's the ideal light for everyone. For many, it's not.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 02:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Halides rock!

I have two 70 watts on a 48gal (36x18x18") and it's perfect for me....
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok then. Yeah i wanted to get a final opinion on lighting. I have run 150watt halides before and didn't have much luck with them. Granted i didn't pay much attention to the tank. I'll keep you updated as to how it goes

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode