The Planted Tank Forum banner

DSM question

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Dman911 
#1 ·
Hi all! Two weeks ago I started a DSM in my 120p with AS and Eleocharis Belem.
I went away for the night last weekend and left my lights on for close to 20 hours!
I noticed a lot of new growth when I got back, been experimenting with a 15 hour photo period ever since.
Stuff seems to be growing much quicker.

Any one see a downside to this?

#2 ·
I usually start my DSM with a 12 hour lighting period. I increase it to 18 hours by the second week and start adding CO2. This helps the plants grow quickly - Adding CO2 during the dry start was the key, dwarf hair grass (Eleocharis parvula) filled the substrate in 6 weeks. Right now I am trying the same with UG. There is no down side to a longer photo period. You just need to add CO2 so the plants have all that they need to grow.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply! That's good to know, I'll go for an 18 hour period. So you are suggesting running my C02 in the unflooded tank? I was actually going to ask that question lol
As I was testing my bubble count I thought why not run C02 into the tank during the dry start? I mean the plants will still use it right?

#5 ·
Awesome! I've never heard of anybody doing this, I was almost feeling silly asking the question but then thought about the process, makes sense.

Got a what if tho,
What happens if you get an end of the tank dump, would it affect animals or humans in the house?
What's the worst thing that could happen if the whole tank emptied into the room?
Headache? Get I'll? Nothing?

#6 ·
Awesome! I've never heard of anybody doing this, I was almost feeling silly asking the question but then thought about the process, makes sense.

Got a what if tho,

What happens if you get an end of the tank dump, would it affect animals or humans in the house?

What's the worst thing that could happen if the whole tank emptied into the room?

Headache? Get I'll? Nothing?

Nothing. I have my tank dump in my bedroom. No issues. Keep in mind there is already a vast concentration of co2 in the air anyway. A lot of indoor gardeners pump co2 into the room they use also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Pumping Co2 into an empty tank would only benefit you if its completely sealed. Just by natural airflow the plants will have all the Co2 they need. If you completely seal your tank you are likely to get mold. The reason the plants start to take off after about a week is the plants have adjusted to the transplant and the roots are starting to take hold and runners begin to spread out. I started my DSM with DHG about 4 weeks ago and only cover half the tank with glass, keep the water about 1/2 below the substrate and I mist 2 times a day. The DHG is spreading very nicely and in about 1.5 months or so I should be close, if not already have a full carpet. I wouldn't waste my money pumping Co2 into the tank when plants can get it from the atmosphere. Just my 2 cents

Dan

#9 ·
My tank is sealed with Saran Wrap, I mist two times a day. Growth definitely sped up with the long photo period.

I understand what you are saying with the C02.

anyone else think it's a waste of C02 to pump into a dry sealed tank?

I think it's tropica that recommends leaving two small openings so that there is free air/co2 flow while still maintaining a fairly high level of humidity. I used cling wrap and left two 1/8th" vents on either side which worked out well. You can YouTube their method which seems to work out well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I also mist with a solution of nitrate and potassium sulphate instead of just water(half a tea spoon of each in 500 ml water). I am doing this since my ADA Amazonia substarte is a few years old. This would not be needed with a new pack of Amazonia.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.