return at the bottom - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
return at the bottom

are there any disadvantages of having the return from a canister filter pipe all the way to the substrate of a planted tank, to keep waste from setting on the substrate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 06:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have run a reverse under gravel filter system, and it might be a little bit helpful, but enough force to keep the debris suspended until the filter can remove it takes a lot of pumping. I would usually run a power head or two down the UGF uptubes, but debris would still settle in the gravel. I tried with a much larger pump and the gravel was sort of lifting and falling it was so strong. That much force was enough to blow the debris up into the water column, and I then did a water change.

The wastes that settle on the substrate of a planted tank become fertilizer. I do not remove this valuable material from my tanks.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 06:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
did you dose the water column as well with the reverse ugf? i bet that substrate didnt have the need for root tabs huh?

i'm very interested in your reverse ugf experiences, instead of highjacking this thread could you pm me with some info on it?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 05:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I use a substrate level spray bar from my sump in the hope that CO2 distribution is more even. Since water is removed to the sump with an overflow I don't need to worry about the water's surface getting a film on it. You might want to use a skimmer if you deliver water back to the tank close to the substrate. If a film forms seems there could be a risk of low O2 exchange.

With heavy plant growth the substrate level return isn't able to blow debris up to the filter intake anyway, it just drifts to the front where I can remove the easy stuff. It may be plant food but weekly water changes, dead leaf trimming and light vacuuming the easy stuff isn't removing all of the dead plant and fish poop anyway.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode