Hi, I love this place, it's given me so much inspiration. Maybe too much. I can see how people end up with MT syndrome. I recently bought a used 90 gallon Allglass aquarium, fluval 404, dual T12 fluorescent light with a 40w 6500K and a 40w plant/aquarium 2500K bulb, one powerhead, 250 watt stealth heater and some other accessories for $250. I just couldn't pass it up, even though I'm a couple months away from being ready to set up. Should give me plenty of time to do it right.
I plan on a community planted tank, low tech as i don't have a ton of cash or time. I do have some questions for you knowledgeable people on here. My short list of fishes includes: Kuhli loaches. Cardinal tetras. Cherry barbs. Dwarf pencilfish. Espei rasboras. Maybe some danios. I've done my research and will be stocking appropriate numbers. Would like some german blue rams but am unsure about them with the rasboras, also it might be tough to find a temp that works with the GBR's.
As far as plants go, I'm not quite sure yet. Would like some hairgrass along the back wall, some swords, and....
1. What are the plants that Takashi Amano places on driftwood that makes them look like little trees?
2. I plan on going with mineralized topsoil capped with pool filter sand, will the loaches cause problems with the MTS?
3. I have a beautiful piece of what i believe is lava rock on my patio, how can i identify it, and what measures should i take to make sure it's safe?
4. Is there anyway to boost my wpg without adding another light?
5. Are moonlights purely aesthetic or do they help plants, fishes?
6. Has anyone actually read this entire post?
Any info, criticism, suggestions, moving thread by mods if needed is appreciated.