Water hardness - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Water hardness

So my water got really really hard O_o after getting soilmaster pro.... and i kinda need to put my fish in the tank soon (cause im dumb dont ask......) and i dont have any natural hardness reducer (cause my water is normally good) T_T anyone have suggestions. Idk about doing a water change cause it is a new tank as in made today >.> using my old tanks water so a water change that would defeat the purpose and using the old water....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 02:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
if you are using old water because you think its gonna cylce the tank, you're wrong.

most of the beneficial bacteria is on the surfaces of your tank, especially your filter media, and not in your water column itself. if thats what you're going for you should take filter media out of your other tank and put it in your new filter.
if you dont have enough biofiltration in your tank and filter then your tank is going to cycle and you're gonna have problems

as far as hardness is concerned, what are you putting in there that needs soft water? are you trying to breed? if not your fish should be able to adapt just fine, just do a drip acclimation.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 02:46 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
+2 on Tims advice

My 65g jungle October rain
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 02:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

i just read your other thread. didnt realize that you were just changing tanks.

just take your filter off of the old tank and put it on the other, that should reduce your problems.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

someone told me that the old water would help... Im using my old filter so that should take care of the bio

and the water is pretty hard >.> like extremely hard well according to a strip though those can be inaccurate. But that is okay if i give it to them slowly?

what exactly is a drip acclimation.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 02:57 AM
Planted Tank VIP

If youre using all of your stuff from your 29 to start a 55 you will still get a mini cycle that has the possibility to be detrimental to your fish. If you can split the filter material into two parts (one on a bucket one on the new tank) monitor it and after a few days to 2 weeks itll be fine. Otherwise your fish wont survive the ammonia spike that will ensue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 02:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

fill your 55g completely. put your fish in a 5 gallon bucket with a low amount of water, just enough for them to swim without being crammed. take some airline tubing and siphon the water into the 5 gallon bucket. this will slowly fill the bucket with the water that they will soon be living in and gives them a chance to get used to it before they get dumped in.

are you using the old gravel?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 02:59 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
IMO you're much better off doing a bunch of water changes in the new tank to bring the water paramters back in line with your tap water.

UNLESS- the fish were already used to this water, and the water is hard b/c it came out of your old tank, and the water got hard b/c you were topping off the tank rather than doing water changes... in THAT case, you'd better stick with the old water to avoid shocking the fish with too many changes all at once.

You'll need to start doing daily smaller water changes to bring the tank back in line with your tap water, though. I'd do 25% daily changes for a week, and then step up to 50% changes daily for the next week. This should slowly bring the tank water parameters back in line with your tap water parameters as well as deal with any ammonia and/or nitrite spikes you may have.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yes im using my old gravel .

I thought that there wouldnt be to big of a need for me tank to the tank as long as i used my old water and filter D: stupid me. (yeah i didnt add any new water other that the stuf in the 29 cause i thought that would help precycle it and partly because this filter is so old im not sure exactly ho much water it can handle)

the water from my old tank seems to be a bit softer then the water that went into the new tank...

and how long would the mini cycle last?
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 03:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

since you moved over the old grave, i would expect there to be a lot of detritus that will got disturbed and i would expect the start a mini cycle, even with the old filter.

like laura lee mentioned, daily water changes and monitoring of ammonia and nitrite should be in your plans
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 03:10 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

OK- you need to make sure you match up your water parameters.

The benefit of using old water from the old tank is NOT so that you bring over beneficial bacteria, but rather to help ensure that the water parameters between the two tanks match up for the benefit of your fish.

If you've got significantly harder water in the new tank versus what was in the old tank then you need to do some water changes on the new tank BEFORE you add your fish.

You need to line up the kH, gH, and pH.

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

funny story about that O.o apparently i had a under gravel filter ( without the filter part...) in the old tank most of the crap made its way to the bottom <,< which was quite disgusting... so a lot of that didnt go into the new tank.

But thanks everyone >.> probably should have wanted for more answers on my other thread before doing anything. I get a bit impatient sometimes D: I need to work on that...
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 03:21 AM
Planted Tank VIP

And test your test kit. Water from the old tank is usually harder than tap if youre not doing waterchanges and just topping off.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

well apparently my test kit says my tap water is as soft as possible O_o

normally when i test my tank it just says it is soft :/ that is why i was concerned. Im not sure y it is so hard now
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 03:35 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

IDK but it sounds to me like the substrate in the new tank is the most likely culprit.

I'd just do a bunch of big water changes and see if you can bring it back down.

If you also do water changes on the holding tank where the fish are, you should be able to bring both back in line with your tap water parameters.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode