regarding water changes and care - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
regarding water changes and care

i recently went to europe and left my tank slightly unattended for about two months. it is heavily planted (see my other posts) and sustained itself pretty well. the only problem is a bunch of plant debris etc. caught up in the plants, mainly my wysteria. i did a 50% water change today and there is still some left that needs to be vacuumed up. the filter also has some BBA that could use some scraping. any recommendations on the best way to safely clean the tank without "shocking" the livestock?

fyi, the tank was set up in december 2009 and all plants and fish are well established.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 02:05 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via Skype™ to Charles Crews
I would suggest pulling out as much of the plant debris by hand as possible. If you just did a 50% water change I might wait at least a day or two before you do another. I fought BBA for a while, I would add a touch more C02 and dose some Flourish Excel on a daily basis.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 03:13 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Crews View Post
I would suggest pulling out as much of the plant debris by hand as possible. If you just did a 50% water change I might wait at least a day or two before you do another. I fought BBA for a while, I would add a touch more C02 and dose some Flourish Excel on a daily basis.
I agree.

I don't do large filter cleanings and water changes in the same week just to avoid the risks of mini-cycles, so I'd prune and vacuum again in a few days and then wait till next later next week to tackle the BBA on your filter.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 03:52 AM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Re: regarding water changes and care

It is difficult to give an accurate answer IMO without knowing the size of your tank. In fairly large setups the filter really only acts as a flow device and mechanical removal as most of the biological filtration is in the tank. So if this a large tank than you can clean the filter and do water changes without risking a cycle.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thank you all for your advice. i actually have to move my tank to my new apartment today... so we'll see how this goes. i am going to save as much water as possible and i was able to get almost all of the debris out. the tank is a 20gal.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 01:43 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

You'll probably need to do water changes for the next few days, so I'd keep a close eye on your ammonia and nitrite levels to see how much you need to change. You want to keep those < 0.25ppm.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 03:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Saving the water is a wasted effort. The bacteria you want to save lives on the plants, substrate, and hardscape, not in the water.

Hoppy
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

well, the move seemed to go successfully but some of my mollies seem stressed. i don't really care about losing them, i just don't want my tank to turn into a giant bacterial infection. i know there probably isn't much advice you can give without all the specs but any insight would help. one crashed on the bottom so i went ahead and flushed him and another is doing a shimmy. my rasboras and catfish seem fine.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 01:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

A move to a new water district can be really hard for the fish. Added to the stress of the move is also the change in mineral content in the water. Fish can handle small changes in mineral levels, but larger changes need to be accomplished over several weeks or a month.

If you saved a lot of the water and the fish are in perhaps 75% old water and 25% new water the mineral levels may not be causing the problems. If you have remained in the same water district, same pumping station and so on, then the water is probably the same in the new apartment, and, again, mineral levels are not, in themselves, the problem.
However! Shimmies and lying on the bottom sounds like a change in mineral levels in excess of what the fish can handle. This may be triggered by stress. Fish under stress osmoregulate poorly, and even if they are in the same water they are acclimated to problems that look like mineral level issues can happen. Also, Mollies are hard water fish. If they were in water that was already pretty soft, then the new water is slightly softer, this can cause problems. It may be below their tolerance level for GH and TDS.

I would add salt to the tank (or remove the Mollies to a quarantine tank) at the rate of 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons. But do this slowly, and watch the fish.
Try 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons (dissolve in some water, pour it in), let it circulate for an hour, then add another teaspoon per 10 and so on. If the fish seem to recover sooner, then stop adding salt. If you need to keep adding salt 6 times (6 teaspoons per 10 gallons is the same as 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons) then stop at that point. This level of salt is not good for aquatic plants.

If you can get water tests of the old water and the new you can adjust the new water to be closer to what the old water was like. Do you still have any of the old tank water before mixing it with the new water? To raise GH in an emergency you can add Epsom salt. To do it right use Barr's GH booster. It has more of the minerals that are needed in the right ratio.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

alright, everything is going to hell. a lot of the fish had white fuzzy eyes this morning, i caught and flushed most of them. some of the ottos appear to have slight fin rot and the cat fish has some white on his eyes. the rasboras are still fine. the remaining mollies seem fine. should i go ahead and flush everything that has any signs of infection? again, i'm not worried about the fish as much as i am my setup that has flourished for almost a year now. any help asap is much, much, much appreciated.

i just removed a little bit of water in hopes that if the problem is nitrites, i can lower them. i only moved about 10 minutes down the road and saved a little over 50% of the water.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 03:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Do you have a UV sterilizer? Keep doing water changes, but you can't get everything out of the soup. UV might help polish the nasty organisms out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eheim Pimp Club member #414, 2076 Pro 3e
Fluval G6
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i don't have one, i will look into purchasing one. do you think the fish will be able to heal themselves? i don't really want to put any antibacterial/fungi treatment into the tank (for the sake of saving the plants) and don't have a hospital tank.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 04:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I'm not an expert, but you may lose the weak even with meds. If you don't want to dose the tank, consider medicated foods from angelsplus.com - antibiotic and immune booster.

Keep changing water. Also, since many don't do regular water changes and have healthy, planted tanks, you may want to reconsider your bioload and amount of filtration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eheim Pimp Club member #414, 2076 Pro 3e
Fluval G6
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks for the help! i decided to flush everything except for the catfish, rasboras, and a few ottos that appear to be unscathed. i'm going to wait a good while until everything gets under control again before adding cooler fish.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 03:04 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

Sounds to me more like your fish were experiencing ammonia burn- fin rot doesn't set in that quickly and especially not that many fish all at the same time.

Did you test your water params?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode