too much flow? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
too much flow?

I recently added a Koralia 3 to my 90 gallon tank and I'm worried that it's too powerful. It definitely eliminates any dead spots, but I'm kind of afraid that it is stressing out my baby angels. If it is on, it is quite turbulent on the side of the tank where it is mounted and I am constantly worried that they'll get sucked in to it or something. Will they get used to it or should I downgrade to a smaller Koralia? The only other flow in the tank is from my return pump, which is about 500gph.

Nicole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 02:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
try to point the koralia at an angle towards the glass on the front of the tank to lessen the flow a little bit
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 01:48 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I think the fish will get used to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 02:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Why is everyone on such the tornado flow kick lately? Who started it, and why?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 03:17 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

Better flow = better filtration and nutrient distribution.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 03:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Better flow = better filtration and nutrient distribution.
I agree, but to a point right? I have a 2217 on a 48 gallon tank. I would say that is more than enough flow for nutrient distribution. The filtration aspect I would lean more towards the opinion that the volume and type of media would have the edge if the flow was reasonable. I just want to understand, sorry if it's a bit of a thread jack. It just doesn't seem necessary to me to elevate flow rates to the extent that the fish are being stressed for the intent of nutrient distribution.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
It just doesn't seem necessary to me to elevate flow rates to the extent that the fish are being stressed for the intent of nutrient distribution.
I think they are only stressed because they are tiny tank-raised angels and probably haven't ever been subjected to more turbulence than a bubbling sponge filter can create. The other fish in the tank are fine.

Nicole
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 03:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleRC View Post
I think they are only stressed because they are tiny tank-raised angels and probably haven't ever been subjected to more turbulence than a bubbling sponge filter can create. The other fish in the tank are fine.
Maybe a spraybar is an option, rather than a focused "jet" like you get with the koralia? I like that piece of wood in your tank!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 05:28 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
I agree, but to a point right? I have a 2217 on a 48 gallon tank. I would say that is more than enough flow for nutrient distribution. The filtration aspect I would lean more towards the opinion that the volume and type of media would have the edge if the flow was reasonable. I just want to understand, sorry if it's a bit of a thread jack. It just doesn't seem necessary to me to elevate flow rates to the extent that the fish are being stressed for the intent of nutrient distribution.
I'll do you one better, I have a 2217 on a 72g and can see the plants on the opposite end of the 4ft tank swaying. The tank has been up and running for almost two years. Now that being said I do believe flow helps, but some of the flow with all these powerheads, two filters, etc is in most cases unnecessary on most tanks that top out at 4 feet. Not that it will probably hurt, but just not necessary.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 08:46 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

How much "power" you need to maintain good flow in a tank is completely different from tank to tank. Hardscape and plantscape play a huge role in creating dead spots. So it's entirely possible that what creates "enough" flow on one tank is not nearly enough on another.

I run a 2217 on my 46gal and am happy with it. Flow is strong right after cleaning, but gets quite weak when it's time to clean the filter again.

On my 90gal I kept upgrading my filters to get more flow and now am happy with my XP3 and XP4 (after trying various combos with 2217, XP2, AquaClear 110...)

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 01:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
How much "power" you need to maintain good flow in a tank is completely different from tank to tank. Hardscape and plantscape play a huge role in creating dead spots. So it's entirely possible that what creates "enough" flow on one tank is not nearly enough on another.

I run a 2217 on my 46gal and am happy with it. Flow is strong right after cleaning, but gets quite weak when it's time to clean the filter again.

On my 90gal I kept upgrading my filters to get more flow and now am happy with my XP3 and XP4 (after trying various combos with 2217, XP2, AquaClear 110...)
Well I agree to a certain point, but I just don't understand deadspots in tanks that are 3, 4 feet with a good cansister filter. Actually there are many things that would dictate how much flow. For example if you have less livestock, do water changes more frequently, clean your filter regularly, etc. you could get away with less. In certain situations more flow would probably give you more wiggle room, but water goes everyway, so anything dissolved in it will as well. When I dump Flourish in my tank. I could clearly see it make it's way to the far right from the left mounted spraybar in just a second or two.

I had a 2213 on a 46g for over two years and never had a problem. The tank was a very full scape as shown below:

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 01:24 AM
Banned

The tank above has a spraybar (which you can't see, since I removed equipment for pic) mounted on the left glass at a 45 degree angle. Look at the right side of the tank. There is a sort of alcove that has HC and Staurogyne sp. 'Porto Velho' growing in it. It's pretty much cut-off from any direct flow from the spraybar by the African fern, Riccia and Blxya, but there is no deficiency as you can see:

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 01:30 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
More flow is often not necessary to distribute nutrients or co2 but it will create stouter slower growing plants much like an oak tree on the open prarie.

My 65g jungle October rain
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 03:08 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

Houseofcards- your tank doesn't have a big honking piece of Malaysian driftwood to work around like I do-

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 03:17 AM
Banned

Re: too much flow?

I still don't see how dissolved ferts wouldn't make it around the wood. I can assure you I have other setups with big centerpieces. BTW i've also setup numerous filterless nanos with the only flow being the fishes fins. How do those plant acquire their nutrients? These tanks grew beautifully for a long time. I'm open to ideas.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode