Is it possible to remove bleach from water - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 08:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
The ammonia is a gas, and it really wants to go out of solution very badly.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
You are overthinking the question due to a lack of understanding bleach and chlorine. Chlorine is the part that does the cleaning. For major large companies, it works to use pressure chlorine and it is a very complex operation. For small places like community or private wells, it is much simpler to just use bleach. The difference is that you can buy a jug of bleach and set it on the shelf until you need to inject or pour it into the system. Very cheap and simple.
The difference is that bleach is made to be simple enough for housewives to use. It is difficult to keep chlorine from gassing off so they tie it to a bit of a salt (SODIUM hypochlorite?) and dilute it with water to make a 6% solution. So when you buy a jug of bleach, you get 94% water, a tiny amount of salt to help hold the chlorine, and a teeny tiny little bit of chlorine gas !
But it is very cheap, simple to store and use and just the same as straight chlorine.
Grandma used it to wash all the diapers we wore but now we are too damn lazy to do that!!

Strong chlorine in pools and spas will gas off and you smell it. Be assured that it will do the same in your drinking water.
Question to think about? If the chlorine is not gassing off, why do you smell it?
Thank you. That was a straightforward answer that covered all of my concerns. Much obliged.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lksdrinker View Post
Sure we do. Just like with all other chlorinated tap water you can age and aerate and then it can be used for the purposes of a fishtank without any issue. However, I really dont think the cost of a dechlorinator comes close to the cost of using bottled water for water changes. A 250 gm bottle of Seachem Safe costs around $10 on amazon and treats 50,000 gallons of water. What would it cost to buy 50,000 gallons of bottled water? Not sure if the OP ever did explain where they are located; but even if there is some crazy fee to import an item that is readily available on sites that ship worldwide I'd still image it'd be cheaper than buying bottled water. Or, I'm sure wherever in the world the OP is located there is some version of some type of dechlorinator or water conditioner available right off the shelf in the local pet stores.
I am currently located in Southern Europe. Bulgaria, to be precise. The thing with importing stuff here is that customs officials (well nearly all officials) are corrupt so there are additional hidden costs to bringing stuff in, and since there are no locally manufactured aquarium products, 95% of it is imported. I do wish I had purchased some Prime (I did not know about Safe at the time) before I left Seattle... sigh.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 02:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I feel your pain. Been there, done that tells me that it isn't always the printed cost of things--- the "added service" is what may cost you far more. The added cost of getting a body back across the border can cost a few thousand at times.
That's the part nobody mentions when speaking of building a wall. It may not be the cost of building as much as the cost of filing all those pockets along the way. Some of those seem to have no limits?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode