Changing tanks question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Changing tanks question

So i have a 29 gallon tank now and i am going to go to a 55 gallon. My question is can i transfer everything from my old tank to my new one. Without having to cycle the tank as long as i dont add more water?. (the fish would have like 7-10 inches of water to swim in. 5 peppered corries which would just stay at the bottom. And the 7 Black skirted tetras should be fine)

when i get my new pump I would start to slowly add more and more water. The reason for me doing this would be for me to save space cause this room is aready small enough with 1 tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
yes that should work dont do a water change befor u do it, as when u fill it it will be just like a 50% waterchange so u dont have a half full tank. i would still keep an eye on it but ive done this many times with no problems. i would skip the next water change to let everything get re established then start with your normal schedual.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 02:14 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Charles Crews
Just be sure that you are using the same "used" filter media and substrate. There might be some amount of cycle period while the substrate resettles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 02:22 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
How will the fish live w/o A fliter or current to add o2 back to the water? Stagnant water will not keep fish alive for long. I wouldnt do anything until you get a buket to put your fish in and put the filter on that. Then add ALL of your gravel and scape to the 55 and wait for the mini cycle. It wont take as long as a new tank if you use the old gravel and part of the filter floss. Sounds like dead fish the way you describe it to me.

My 65g jungle October rain

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode