Cannister Filter for 12G Long - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cannister Filter for 12G Long

Hello!
I've had a 12 gallon long set up for a long while but had a snail infestation I just couldn't get rid of. So, last night I completely gutted my planted tank and rinsed out the gravel of all the outrageous amounts of snail poop.

I was running a HOB Aqua Clear 20. However, I find there wasn't enough flow in the tank across the top of the water. So, now I'm just going to make a purely cherry shrimp breeding tank. Just reusing my gravel, have it completely flat bottom, put some plants into hydroponic pots so they don't spread, put some of my malaysian driftwood back in, and basically make the layout as 'clean up' friendly as possible. I will be wanting to stuff these pots with some of my plants which are sp.Japan, anubias, and ...forgive me I don't know it's name, but a grass-like plant. I've attached photos.

I am looking to stock red cherry shrimp, 2 assassin snails, maybe a bunch of otos? Not sure. Suggest I tend to keep the water level near the top, so something that can clean the tank and won't jump out (I'm looking at you Amanos)

ANYWAY, the filter. I'm looking at getting the Eheim Cannister 2211 or 2213, OR recently I've heard of the Penn Plax Cascade 500 Cannister.
I'm open to which ever would be better. And would like to know how to set it up to get maximum flow. Ideally the intake/outtake on opposite ends but I quickly read this is a tough work around? Also, the filter media these cannisters come with, people often replace correct? What should I replace the included filter media with?

As well, I'm shopping from Canada. If you know of any deals that would be great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16118673_10154998073569319_1658462706_n.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	712082  

Name:	16128896_10154998017049319_308405776_n.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	712090  

Name:	14753439_10154692452364319_5190802263282081165_o(1).jpg
Views:	44
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	712098  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode