Envy this!!! Pics included - The Planted Tank Forum
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cool Envy this!!! Pics included

I just recently read a post in the "this used to be an active place..." thread that remarked how some who are new to the hobby, and who may have taken great pride in their first creation, came across this forum to see these beautifully hardscaped and planted tanks with captions reading "my first tank", only to leave feeling kind of down on themselves; That everyone else is so obviously clued in and that their hopes for their tank are unattainable.

If that's you, or ever was you I offer you this post; not because I consider myself an authority by any means...well maybe fish disease, only because I've made almost all the mistakes to bring those about but instead to encourage those who may be hesitant about posting or commenting to do so. If you have white spots on your fish (ich) and don't know what they are: ask. If you purchased monte carlo, placed it in your tank w/o running Co2, and are not sure why it's not making a beautiful carpet like in the photos of everyone else: ask. Even the most experienced people in this hobby are still learning....and quite often it comes from someone with little to no experience.

And with that, I give you photos of one of my 6 gallon tanks. It is not the first tank I've had but one of the first in my venturing to the "high tech." The lighting has been modified and it's running Co2. While it may not have won any aquscaping competitions I was, and still am, pretty proud of my efforts. What I would hope you'll see though is that we all make mistakes and issues remain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2406.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	711722  

Name:	IMG_0466.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	711730  

Name:	IMG_0516.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	711738  

Name:	IMG_3546.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	711746  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattern8 View Post
I just recently read a post in the "this used to be an active place..." thread that remarked how some who are new to the hobby, and who may have taken great pride in their first creation, came across this forum to see these beautifully hardscaped and planted tanks with captions reading "my first tank", only to leave feeling kind of down on themselves; That everyone else is so obviously clued in and that their hopes for their tank are unattainable.

If that's you, or ever was you I offer you this post; not because I consider myself an authority by any means...well maybe fish disease, only because I've made almost all the mistakes to bring those about but instead to encourage those who may be hesitant about posting or commenting to do so. If you have white spots on your fish (ich) and don't know what they are: ask. If you purchased monte carlo, placed it in your tank w/o running Co2, and are not sure why it's not making a beautiful carpet like in the photos of everyone else: ask. Even the most experienced people in this hobby are still learning....and quite often it comes from someone with little to no experience.

And with that, I give you photos of one of my 6 gallon tanks. It is not the first tank I've had but one of the first in my venturing to the "high tech." The lighting has been modified and it's running Co2. While it may not have won any aquscaping competitions I was, and still am, pretty proud of my efforts. What I would hope you'll see though is that we all make mistakes and issues remain.
I still can not stop laughing at that
Last photo.....like what the hell did I do to spark the birth of that monstrous creation. Hahaha
Econde and Econde like this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 02:03 AM

Holy crap! I hope you got that back to its original glory, your tank looked lush in the first pic.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Rainbow View Post
Holy crap! I hope you got that back to its original glory, your tank looked lush in the first pic.
It has been a struggle. An everyday struggle...one which I fear I'm losing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0135.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	711762  

Name:	IMG_1143.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	711770  

Name:	IMG_1140.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	711778  

Wendy1B and Wendy1B like this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 03:42 PM
Algae Grower

Beautiful tank - and a great sentiment. It can be daunting to see all these perfect tanks. It's like social media - people post themselves at their best, which can lead to a skewed vision.

I have been feeling down about my tank this week (lost a few newly introduced habrosus cories for reasons I can't figure out...can't get my lights tuned in where I want them...pesky algae on stauro...etc...etc...etc). But this is a good reminder to take a step back and realize that, overall, I've learned SO much from this forum and my tank, plants, and fish are better off for it.
Tessa, Tessa, Pattern8 and 7 others like this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 06:27 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (18/100%)
Great post. Kind of like the time I bought a plant from the fish store covered in BBA and the sales guy said it will go away, the fish will eat it! After everything I learned here, from all these knowledgeable people, I can now grow it myself! But seriously, you could have beginners luck or just completely fail. Everyone has and everyone will.
Pattern8 and Pattern8 like this.

Algae,....Algae everywhere.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 06:29 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
That's the same algae I'd see in my pond in full sun... You have a little version of the sun there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 08:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Ahh I see what you did wrong there. Typically, experienced aquarists eat split pea soup out of a bowl rather than in their aquariums.

Really though, nice first hardscape!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 09:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nice job with the tank and great post. It's so easy to get down on ourselves and forget that essentially everything is a work in progress and a learning experience.

I have the same tank and it will be my next project when it's done being a nursery tank. Thanks for the inspiration!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 12:54 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Nice looking tank. That last pic kinda looks like a prop for a Sigourney Weaver movie.

A paranoid shrimp keeper, is a successful shrimp keeper.
10G Orange Rili
10G Orange Neo
10G Green Jade
10G Carbon Rili
10G Blue Dream
38G Red Cherry
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 09:23 PM
Algae Grower

Thank you for posting this. I think it's important that we share our struggles as well as triumphs. Nobody has a perfect set up 365 days a year, seriously! Your hardscape is beautiful, and I hope to see you post that you have finished off that pesky algae some time soon...Until then, God Speed, o' little box o' water .
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 09:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Very salient thread. It's important to remember that everyone struggles. Amano had many failures along with his successes. I was at ADG yesterday, and even they had a tank with BGA and hair algae issues (mainly from fluctuating hardness caused by the tank's Seiryu stone). The difference between the master and the novice is that the former can roll along with the punches and knows how to recover things before they get too out of hand.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua99 View Post
Nice job with the tank and great post. It's so easy to get down on ourselves and forget that essentially everything is a work in progress and a learning experience.

I have the same tank and it will be my next project when it's done being a nursery tank. Thanks for the inspiration!
They are crazy hard to hardscape, like building a ship in a bottle, and the more complex your scape gets the more difficult it becomes to conduct maintenance work. All that said, however, I find them to be absolutely worth the added work. Even now, after owning a few ADA setups, I still find the Fluval Edge to be the most interestingly designed, stunning, and beautiful of any aquariums out there. I have 3 of them, one of which (a 6 gallon) I've kept low tech: No Co2, stock lighting (It's running the unit that comes stock on 12 gallon model though), etc... it actually may still be one of my favorites lol. Fluval has been stringing me along for years with teasers that a 19 gallon model will be released but it never comes to pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twillz View Post
Beautiful tank - and a great sentiment. It can be daunting to see all these perfect tanks. It's like social media - people post themselves at their best, which can lead to a skewed vision.

I have been feeling down about my tank this week (lost a few newly introduced habrosus cories for reasons I can't figure out...can't get my lights tuned in where I want them...pesky algae on stauro...etc...etc...etc). But this is a good reminder to take a step back and realize that, overall, I've learned SO much from this forum and my tank, plants, and fish are better off for it.
Exactly! It's what inspired me to post this. This hobby can be a lot of work. And that's part of the love but sometimes I've felt I'm putting in a lot of work and still coming up with a mess. This forum has been great in helping me at those moments. I think the vast majority, not all but most, of us are willing to put in the time and effort it takes but just need some solid direction or even just a bit of encouragement. I hope your cory situation improves! Most of what I've read about cories says they can be a sensitive bunch. I ordered 6 salt and pepper cories over a year ago (for another tank-not the one photoed). 2 of them "disappeared" within the first week. The other 4 have been happily with me ever since. They are really an adorable pick and one I've been glad I selected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelrodi202 View Post
Very salient thread. It's important to remember that everyone struggles. Amano had many failures along with his successes. I was at ADG yesterday, and even they had a tank with BGA and hair algae issues (mainly from fluctuating hardness caused by the tank's Seiryu stone). The difference between the master and the novice is that the former can roll along with the punches and knows how to recover things before they get too out of hand.
I just checked out their website, having not known of it before, and they have some stunning tanks! I too wish I would have known more about Seiryu Stone before I jumped all in onto that band wagon. Not that I wouldn't have used it, it's still a beautiful stone, but that I might have been prepared for it. My tap water is only 3º KH and GH. However because of my liberal use of Seiryu Stone in the tank photoed, I finally resorted to purchasing an RODI system and only buffer my change water for the pH. The fluctuations can be seen in the photo I'll attach (I really am not as good as I was in logging these things....need to make an effort to get back into the habit of it)

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
That's the same algae I'd see in my pond in full sun... You have a little version of the sun there.
Mistergreen loves me because I can supply all the photos for any deficiency he wishes to illustrate. Name it; I've got it or can make it happen. That's an accomplishment right?!?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0150 2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	712794  

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 01:08 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Oh right! I guess you solved your deficiency issues?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 01:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Wow, thanks for sharing that fascinating data! I was actually wondering where the hardness would equilibrate with Seiryu, since the guys at ADG never let it get above 8 degrees or so before changing water.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode