Cycling a 120, how long? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Cycling a 120, how long?

Hi all,

Just wondering how long I should cycle my 120 gallon tank for?

It's been going for a week. I used eco-complete as a substrate which said it helps to cycle tanks quickly. There are no plants or fish in it yet. I tested the water today and got the following results:
Nitrate - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Ammonia - 0ppm

I have a CO2 system, just waiting for the cylinder which I will pick up towards the end of the week and start dosing to bring my pH down. its currently at 7.8. Is this how I should adjust the pH or should I use another means?

So I guess I have 2 questions, 1) what are my test readings telling me (this is my first foray into a planted tank) and 2) when can I start planting
Cheers

J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 11:16 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
1) You have no source of ammonia in your tank, therefore all your readings will be 0. Get some liquid ammonia and dose until you get 5ppm. If you cant get liquid ammonia, adding fish flakes or raw shrimp will give it some ammonia as well. You will see ammonia rise, then drop while nitrites rise, then nitrites will drop and nitrates will start rising.

2)You can plant whenever, plants are not affected by those levels of ammonia
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 01:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I agree with Penguin. Sounds like you need to do a bit more research on cycling the tank. There is no specific length of time that you cycle it for - you cycle it until the cycle is complete - usually 4-8 weeks. The *basic* principal is that fish produce ammonia, which is a deadly toxin. There are bacteria that convert the ammonia into nitrite, which is also deadly. Luckily, there are bacteria that convert the nitrite into a much less harmful chemical called nitrate. When you cycle the tank you are basically growing these bacteria in the tank so that when you add fish they will do their job of converting the ammonia into nitrite and then into nitrate. In order to start this process you need to add a source of ammonia to the tank so the bacteria you are trying to grow have a food source, and you will need to continue to add ammonia until the cycle is done. Typically once the cycle starts you will get ammonia readings, then eventually you'll start getting nitrite readings and the ammonia will start to go down, then eventually you'll see nitrate readings. When the cycle is finally complete your test readings will show 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and readable nitrates.

Do a search on "fishless cycle" and you'll find lots of information.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 01:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
I agree with everything said except you can plant right now! Stuff as many plants as you can in now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 02:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
add a bunch of plants and.... some fish. It's a 120. The fish won't be affected to any great extent by the amount of ammonia they'll produce in a tank that big. Just add slow and let the tank cycle as you go. The plants will suck up the rest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20L build in progress

my 75 (the old tank)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Do NOT use raw shrimp. Read here:

There are other methods of fishless cycling being recommended or used however one method being pushed on the internet is the use of Raw Shrimp; however this is a recycled idea (which included the use of silversides, frozen shrimp, and even dead feeder fish) and has reappeared on the internet even though it was debunked in the early 1990s.

I do not recommend this method, not because it does not work for cycling, but because it may also allow a Saprolegnia infection to get started in your new aquarium. Saprolegnia is a mold (often called a fungus) that easily gets a foot hold in decaying nitrogenous matter such as raw shrimp and I have seen this many times in my experiments. Even after the source of Saprolegnia growth is removed, the secondary zoospores which are the primary mode of pathogenic transmission can remain, even after large water changes/vacuumings.
A new tank is the worst time to have a Saprolegnia infection get started as this is when fish are often much less resistant to disease due to the stressor of a new tank environment.

Another note/point is that even the fish food method (as noted earlier) can allow for Saprolegnia to get a foothold in an aquarium if food is simply dumped into an aquarium, making this method not any better than the “Raw Shrimp or Silversides” method as its decay will also attract Saprolegnia, so make sure to liquefy fish food prior to addition to your aquarium when used for cycling.

Source:

http://http://www.americanaquariumpr...gen_Cycle.html

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode