Terrible smell... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Terrible smell...

I just set up my 55 gallon tank about 3 hours ago, got the filters running and all seems to be excellent except for this terrible smell. It smells like a bunch of rotting dead shrimp.... At the moment I have eco-complete and pool filter sand in the tank with some lace rock. I also have my 2 Aquaclear 110s running on full blast. Any help with making the smell go away would be greatly appreciated lol. My ammonia is currently at .25ppm. Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 10:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
are they used filters? old filter pads?
was the tank used previously and not cleaned properly?
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 10:57 PM
Algae Grower

Wow, that's really strange. Are you using substrate from an old tank? In my experience, I've gotten methane bubbles in my substrate but that was only after it's sat for a month or so.

If you are using older substrate, you might have a leftover 'fishy' smell. Until the other members can tell you definitely whats going on, I'd aim a fan at the window.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 11:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
May be the ECO something may have gone bad in the bag. I would do a few 50% water changes and see if it's any better.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 11:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/86%)
If it was all new stuff then that is extremly puzzling, if it was used stuff then time and waterchanges will take care of the problem.

Purigen would also be a lifesaver, I bet

This user has been suspended indefinitely due to the abuse of the Swap and Shop forum.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

They are completely new filters from bigals. I rinsed all of the media (sponge, purigen(2 bags per filter), and biomax) very well. It is a brand new tank which I cleaned with a water and vinegar solution prior to placing the substrate and water in it. As far as the ECO goes I just cut the bags open today. They were shipped to my house from PETCO. Maybe something went wrong in the shipping process. I hope this isn't a bad omen of things to come.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 11:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

hmm, I think purigen is the problem then, or the eco complete spoiled somehow, but you should have noticed either of those as soon as you opened the package.

Maybe your nose is very sensative to the smell of amonia? not likely but this is very puzzling

EDIT-are you sure it is purigen you have and not normal carbon? not that it would make a difference I dont think but a new filter doesn't come with purigen. You could have ordered it seperate though.

This user has been suspended indefinitely due to the abuse of the Swap and Shop forum.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 11:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

did you notice the smell when you cut the bags open? if it smells that bad under water i would imagine it would have kicked you in the face when you opened the bag
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 11:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

ninja!
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 11:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwag2001 View Post
ninja!
indeed you are!

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsandwitch View Post
hmm, I think purigen is the problem then, or the eco complete spoiled somehow, but you should have noticed either of those as soon as you opened the package.

Maybe your nose is very sensative to the smell of amonia? not likely but this is very puzzling

EDIT-are you sure it is purigen you have and not normal carbon? not that it would make a difference I dont think but a new filter doesn't come with purigen. You could have ordered it seperate though.
Im quite sure it is purigen. I ordered four 100ml packages from bigals. As far as the ECO it didn't really smell bad at all when I opened the bags or afterwards when I was throwing them away.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 11:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekee View Post
Im quite sure it is purigen. I ordered four 100ml packages from bigals. As far as the ECO it didn't really smell bad at all when I opened the bags or afterwards when I was throwing them away.
Then the purigen is all that I can think of, I had some purigen that smelled like a rotten corpse or somthing after I bleached it

Also I know purigen reacts badly with some water conditioners, though I dont know the details on that.

Try and isolate the source of the smell(open up canister, smell a handful of substrate, smell a cup of aquarium water in a place you cant smell the rotten smell from the aquarium)

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok so I isolated everything (water, eco, pool filter sand, all 3 mediums in both filters) and everything checked out except for one bag of purigen and some pool filter sand that did have a slight hint of this smell to it. So narrowing it down to this one bag of purigen and maybe som PFS. I guess what I need now is a remedy. Any suggestions? Everyone has been so very helpful so far. Thank you for your help.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 11:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

carbon maybe
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 11:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekee View Post
Thank you for your help.
thats what the forum is here for!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode