Stocking suggestions for a 75 gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Stocking suggestions for a 75 gallon

I need help on stocking my 75 gallon tank, I'm not sure about the numbers of each fish or which you guys would recommend, I have very soft water! I know some of these fish don't go together but which would you recommend, how many and which ones ?
Here's a handful of fish I might want to include:
Harlequin rasboras
Cardinal Tetras
Rummy nose Tetras
Angels
Gourami
Roseline shark
Otos
Corys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:47 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
I currently have 7 roselines, 5 otos and 10 Corydoras Habrosus with 6 furcatus and everyone is doing great! Otos need atleast 4, should be more for a 75 gallon as they like to hang with their own kind, same with the Roselines, however these can get to be 5+ inches and need the swimming room. I have an FX5 on my tank which puts out some serious current for them to continuously swim against. Angels can be temperamental in my experience, but I haven't kept them for 10 years.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

Rainbows are cool, especially Praecox rainbows ones, they are small and very active. They have an amazing, iridescent blue coloration. Don't do Dwarf gouramis, they are prone to diseases, due to being very inbred. They are also aggressive.

A 17-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 08:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I can only say that I have one angelfish with rummy nose, sterbai cories and I think there's still one or two otos in there. So those will work together. But my tank is only a 25g. I haven't kept any of the other fish you've mentioned so others would have to advise on those. But I do like your choices.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've kept Pearl Gouramis and Angelfish together many times. Both enjoy softer water. The Pearls I've kept have always been in a pair, male and female.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Cardinals are beautiful and corys are easy to breed. I especially like dwarf and pygmy cories.

If cost is an issue, how about a giant school of glowlight or black skirt tetras?

"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." Baba Dioum

The Fraternity of Dirt #41
SunSun Pimp #66
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you for all the feedback, cost isn't really an issue, or else I wouldn't be wanting roseline sharks lol
I don't want any fish that are even prone to being aggressive, I just hate watching fish get bullied around by the other ones( had a rainbow shark in the past)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Personal bias leads me to recommend pearl gouramis and harlequin rasboras. The color contrast of these fish in a well planted tank is beautiful. Colored up male pearls are one of the most spectacular fish in the hobby. I have 5 pearls (2m, 3f) and 15 harlequins in my 75. The gouramis might chase each other around once in a while but never mess with any of the other fish.

AqAdvisor is a fun tool for planning out stocking. Their calculations are very conservative, but provides a good baseline to work off of.
AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode