Should I rise my TV to give my tank a little more clearance. - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Should I rise my TV to give my tank a little more clearance.

I'm in the in the process of setting up a 12G long rimless tank my wife got me for Christmas, I absolutely love this tank and so I want to set it up in my living right under my TV which is mounted in the wall.
I placed it there today to see how it looks and it seems like it might too close to the TV. My worry is that the water evaporation will create moist on the screen. Here is a picture:

What do you guys think?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 04:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
What's the distance between the back of the tank and the screen (or where the screen would be if it extended lower)?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by geisterwald View Post
What's the distance between the back of the tank and the screen (or where the screen would be if it extended lower)?
I am not sure I understood the question but the back of the tank is right below the screen and the screen is 2 1/2" above the edge of the back of the tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 04:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Where are your speakers located? Those will be some traumatized fish...
geisterwald and geisterwald like this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 04:34 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I don't think aquarium near electronic device is a good idea. Not to mention your fish might stressed by glow and sound of your tv. It also affect you when you watch Star Wars while keep the light on.

Sent from my MX4 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananableps View Post
Where are your speakers located? Those will be some traumatized fish...
I have ceiling and in-wall mounted speakers, it is a very nice sound system I have divided in two zones. So, I don't use the TV speakers.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 04:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardiamj View Post
I am not sure I understood the question but the back of the tank is right below the screen and the screen is 2 1/2" above the edge of the back of the tank.

I meant the distance illustrated in this diagram (imagine my lines were straight lol):

If your sound isn't coming directly from the TV or anything else very close to the tank, I wouldn't worry too much about sound stressing the fish (though I wouldn't play anything too loud at all, you'll definitely be limited by having a tank in that room, that is if you want to be nice to the fish / improve your chances of them surviving).

I agree that the glow might irritate/stress them as well, which could be a problem.

The other thing I'd worry about is heat from the TV potentially causing more of the tank water to evaporate than would otherwise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diagram.png
Views:	92
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	707922  

Bananableps and Bananableps like this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wong View Post
I don't think aquarium near electronic device is a good idea. Not to mention your fish might stressed by glow and sound of your tv. It also affect you when you watch Star Wars while keep the light on.

I might be better off abandoning this idea then. My first thought was to build a stand from scratch for this thank but then I got lazy and thought, well the tank will fit perfectly right under my TV.

After reading your guys advice and giving this idea a second thought, I have decided not to place my tank there, kick my laziness out the window and build a stand for it instead.

It will be better for both my shrimp (I plan it to be a shrimp mainly tank) and my TV.

I am so glad I asked, I wasn't sure it was such a good idea either and you guys confirmed it. Honestly, I see now how bad of an idea it was.

maxhrbal and maxhrbal like this.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 01-07-2017 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 05:45 AM
Algae Grower

Brrrr! What size tank is that? What size TV is that?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa Mint View Post
Brrrr! What size tank is that? What size TV is that?
I know hu! It's cold over here... The tank is a Mr Aqua 12G Long and a 65" TV.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 01:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

It's a lovely looking tank. Please keep us posted!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:

I am correcting myself here, I thought this tank was the Mr Aqua 12G Long, since it was a Christmas gift from my wife (I new she loves me when I opened my Christmas gift ). But I found the the box label today and it is an Aquatop HCA-12G.

I am still in the thinking process of a stand for it, I found nothing so far in the interweb just some people suggesting some IKEA stands for it but I don't trust those things.

My current thought is to get one of those Petco metal stands for 29G
Quote:

I am correcting myself here, I thought this tank was the Mr Aqua 12G Long, since it was a Christmas gift from my wife (I new she loves me when I opened my Christmas gift ). But I found the box label today and it is an Aquatop HCA-12G.

I am still in the thinking process of a stand for it, I found nothing so far in the interweb just some people suggesting some IKEA stands for it but I don't trust those things.

My current thought is to get one of those Petco metal stands for 29G tanks, their dimensions are 30x12.5x29.5 (LxWxH), make a wooden top 36" long for it and fit another piece of wood in the bottom shelve.

Last edited by Jardiamj; 02-19-2017 at 09:10 PM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 09:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Your tank should weight around 50 kg. You are from Washington, aren't you? Why don't you DIY a book shelf ?

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:05 AM
Algae Grower

just make sure your fish can watch tv with no obstructions....
redavalanche and redavalanche like this.

65 gallon RIMLESS DSA NEO
PLANTED TANK
fluval fresh and plant 2.0 36"
fluval 406
fluval spec 5
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's been a month since my last post, my wife has had me busy doing some organization in the kitchen. I built and installed some drawers and other things for her to have her pans and kitchen stuff organized.
I finally had some time this weekend to build something to put my fish tank on, I ended up building an entryway table with some scrap wood that I had lying around, I only had to buy a few pieces of wood.
I will post a tank journal when I have some extra time but for now here are a few pictures, my wife picked the colors and I have to say that I like the final product:

Nlewis and Nlewis like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode