Fish / shrimp Armageddon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Fish / shrimp Armageddon

Disaster in my 36 gal. tank. I woke up this morning to a dead red cherry near the surface, normally this would not raise any alarms, so I waited until the lights came on in the tank. And to my horror, I noticed at least 20 probably more dead red cherry's and two dead tetras. The other cherry's were near the surface hanging on to what they could. My fish were breathing more than usual. What could have happened? This is a day after my weekly 1/3 tank water change, I did not forget my prime, I did nothing else out of the ordinary.

I am in the process of doing water params, and will post them as soon as I have all of them together.

After doing a 50% water change, the tetras have gone back to their usual space in the tank near the bottom, the dwarf neon rainbowfish are playing, my gourami is digging in the substrate for food again. and the cherry's have gone back to their usual selves as well. This leads me to belive that it was low O2? I am not sure why that would suddenly become a problem since I have not changed any equipment nor have removed any plants.

I have removed as many of the dead shrimp as I could find, and the two fish. I am afraid of what might be coming, how should I move forward now to help prevent a massive ammonia spike? the tank is heavily planted, so getting back to some areas of the tank is near imposable. So far most fish are completely accounted for, and the ones that usually hide I have a rough idea that they are ok. I can see to the back of the tank along the substrate and see no more fish or shrimp laying dead.

This sucks!

I forgot to add, this tank is a low tech tank without CO2 injection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 05:19 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Have you moved any plants around recently/worked inside the tank at all?

Any possibility that there was a poweroutage/brownout while you were sleeping that shut down your filter?

What the complete stocklist in your tank?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 05:19 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
could it be a temp issue?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 05:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
What did your Nitrates, Nitrites and Ammonia test at? IS it possible you got some sort of chemical in the water?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Ok water params
Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 5
PH - 7.2
(using master liquid test kit)

Nothing out of the ordinary. Could it have been a popped anaerobic spot? I did not think my substrate was deep enough for that, and my army of MTS's would have taken care of anything from forming.

I usually wash my hands before doing any work in the tank, along with having a clean kitchen, I doubt that any chemical got into the water. My temp holds between 76.6-78.6

The only thing I did was the usual water change, along with plant trimming. The stems grow very quick.

The stock list is well... a bit over stocked. I do keep a constant eye on water params, and up until this point it has not caused issues.

This is what I have in there

1-Dwarf Gourami
6-Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish
6-Zebra Danios
6-Threadfins
a couple of leftover glowlights (last from the long gone tank)
and a couple left over neons (last inhabitants of my now long gone tank)
3-Nerite snails,
and the thriving cherry colony.

The tank has a TON of plants, mostly fast growing stems.

Nitrates have never gone above 5 for as long as the tank has been setup.

I did go check my 5.5 gal to make sure it was ok, since I did a water change in it after the 36 gal. and everything is looking healthy.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 05:30 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

Can you get the rest of those missing levels?

What about that stocklist?

Could have been a change in your tap water parameters, too.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Can you get the rest of those missing levels?

What about that stocklist?

Could have been a change in your tap water parameters, too.
got them, sorry forgot to post the last two when I had them. (added to my last post)

The only time the water params. change is from winter to spring (usually just ph), our city rarely changes things with the tap.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

Pretty much the only things that could have done that are either a water parameter issue or a contaminant... and you've ruled out "the usual suspects," so IDK what else it could be besides your tap water changed?

How long had it been since the water change before this one?

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Pretty much the only things that could have done that are either a water parameter issue or a contaminant... and you've ruled out "the usual suspects," so IDK what else it could be besides your tap water changed?

How long had it been since the water change before this one?
I do a 1/3 tank water change weekly. I am baffled too, everything seems to be back to normal. The cherry's are cleaning up what i could not reach (with the help of snails) which is not alot. and the fish are acting normally. I want to get to the bottom of it, so I do not have it happen again. I guess I will just keep an eye on things. I hope this does not happen again.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 05:43 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

I had the same thing happen once on my 90gal- killed a few big clown loaches I'd had for almost 8 years, and I never could figure out what it was that did it. Only thing I could chalk it up to was some change in my well water that wasn't anything I could test for.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I had the same thing happen once on my 90gal- killed a few big clown loaches I'd had for almost 8 years, and I never could figure out what it was that did it. Only thing I could chalk it up to was some change in my well water that wasn't anything I could test for.
Thank you very much for the help Lauralee. It always makes me a bit sad when I loose one of the little guys. I put the responsibility on myself to keep them alive, and well... I asked my wife to keep an eye on things while I am on my night shift tonight. Hopefully things will not go bad again.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
i know that your tank normally holds at theat temp but did youactually check the temp?
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

If it happens again tonight you might try lowering the water level in the tank so that your filter creates more surface agitation.

I noticed my fish at the top of my 46gal actually just this week, and realized I'd filled the tank too full after my water change, the water was all the way up to the glass canopy so there was only a tiny strip of open water left for gas exchange, and since I run a canister versus an HOB there just wasn't enough going on.

I lowered the water level back to where it should be and everything was fine.

I just remembered that!

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwag2001 View Post
i know that your tank normally holds at theat temp but did youactually check the temp?
Yes, it was at 78.2 this morning.

78.6 last night before bed, and is currently sitting at 78.4
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
If it happens again tonight you might try lowering the water level in the tank so that your filter creates more surface agitation.

I noticed my fish at the top of my 46gal actually just this week, and realized I'd filled the tank too full after my water change, the water was all the way up to the glass canopy so there was only a tiny strip of open water left for gas exchange, and since I run a canister versus an HOB there just wasn't enough going on.

I lowered the water level back to where it should be and everything was fine.

I just remembered that!
I had that thought this morning as well, so I did change the angle of my canisters outflow. That may very well be what caused it,I have a glass top on the tank to help with evaporation (since Colorado gets SOO dry) I usually make sure that I have at least 1" of space between the top and the water, along with keeping the areas in the back of the tank clear of anything that might block them off.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode