Finnex 24/7 + CO2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Finnex 24/7 + CO2

Good evening everyone,
Didn't know where to post this so I am posting it here.
I got a Finnex 24/7 for Christmas and just bought myself a aquatek mini CO2 that I plan to start running tomorrow.

I run my lights on a timer in the 24/7 mode. So at 6am my lights come on (very low intensity) and ramp up during the day then ramp down and shut off at 10:30 ( again very low intensity at that time)

I plan on running my CO2 on a timer as well. My question is when should I have my CO2 kick on? My lights are britest between about 10-4 would that be enough time? Or would you start a few hours earlier?

I just want to get this all dialed in.

Thanks in advance.
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 11:19 AM
vig
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
1 hr before your brightest light is good enough, just make sure it's not too much at the end of the day.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 12:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
As @vig suggests, it's generally held that CO2 should begin an hour before bright light. Depending on surface agitation, you may or may not need supplemental air during off hours.

I'm trialing DIY CO2 and also using a Finnex 24/7, on at 6am, off at midnight. My DIY CO2 at roughly 1bps is running 24/7. I have been putting my light on max from about 10-4pm and I run a bubble bar on low from 10pm - 4:00am....but it's all an experiment in process!!!
After a while, I'll go back to full 24/7 (still on the timer) and see how plants respond.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Sounds like a plan I'll start with CO2 on for only the 4 hours that the light is maxed out. If I feel it needs more I'll bump it up.

Abbeysdad how do you like the 24/7 planted+ ? How long have you had it? How's your growth?

Thanks again guys
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 04:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennfisherman View Post
Abbeysdad how do you like the 24/7 planted+ ? How long have you had it? How's your growth?
I have the 48" Finnex Planted+ 24/7 on my 60g tank and LOVE it. I've had it since April/May 2016 - so 9 months at this writing. I very much like the surrealism of dawn till dusk/moonlight.
I put it on my well established tank and planted (again running in 24/7 mode on a timer -on @6am off at midnight). A low tech setup, no CO2 and modest with ferts. Plants grew very well. I added some Jungle Val that brought with it Black Beard Algae. I ripped the jungle val out and started dosing with Excel to fight it. At about the same time, growth seemed to stall so I added DIY CO2, a bit more ferts and light and plants are responding well!
Right now, I take the light out of 24/7 at about 10am and put back in 24/7 at 3pm or 4pm (in 3pm feature time) for a little more bright light. This has caused my dwarf sag to wake up and is growing much more. At some point I'll leave in 24/7 mode, and perhaps only occasionally switch for more light...it's an ongoing 'work in progress'.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode