Why won't my pressurized CO2 go on in the morning - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By jeffkrol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Why won't my pressurized CO2 go on in the morning

I have a paintball CO2 setup with an aquatek premium plus adapter. I like to keep it at 1 bubble per second, but in the mornings when the solenoid kicks on nothin happens, I have to manually open the needle valve and push all the water out of my diffuser, then it can be left alone. My working pressure is 60 psi , do I need more ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 07:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickie Briana View Post
I have a paintball CO2 setup with an aquatek premium plus adapter. I like to keep it at 1 bubble per second, but in the mornings when the solenoid kicks on nothin happens, I have to manually open the needle valve and push all the water out of my diffuser, then it can be left alone. My working pressure is 60 psi , do I need more ?
Water creeping into the tubing is "natural" Usually that is what a check valve is for..
And it will take time for CO2 to push all the water back out..esp. at 1 bps.

Yu should be able to see the water moving down the tube after the solenoid opens.. If not, and you have a check valve.. it got wet and "sticky"..
Turningdizzy and Turningdizzy like this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'll check it, It just seemed like it doesn't have enough pressure to start

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 08:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
What Jeffkrol said. Something to think about if that's not it. Is the setup in a room that is cold in the morning and then warmed up? You hardly have the needle valve open at 1bps and the thought occurred to me that maybe your initial setting closes up when the metal shrinks as it cools off over night. The next morning it all starts cold so you have to barely open it again. Just a thought. I live Murphy's Law for the most part. I am an optimist just like him.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

For example I just got home today from school and their is so CO2 being let out. I need to have it in a minimum of 6bs for it to turn on in the morning, when the water fills my diffuser it can't push out the water at 1bs or less

I think my solenoid is not working sometimes, I have an aquatek premium regulator I heard this is a common problem

Last edited by Darkblade48; 01-03-2017 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 01:59 AM
Algae Grower

I'm a newbie, but it sounds like I have the same setup as you: Aquatek regulator with paintball co2. Mine is working well with zero delay between switching it on and seeing bubbles.

Here's my setup: 1. the aquatek regulator. 2. the free bubble counter with integrated check valve that came with the regulator. It works really well. 3. The fluval 88g ceramic disk diffuser. 4. High pressure hose line (not the softer hose for a regular air line). 5. I have the larger valve opened to about 22psi and that seems to be just right for 1 bubble per second. 6. It's been running perfectly for almost a week now (the first week) so I never even got around to tweaking the smaller adjustment knob. My smaller adjustment knob is still wide open (to the left). 7. The entire paintball tank is up around 900 psi, I think.

My failures and discoveries along the way: I originally tried to use the fluval bubble counter, but that requires a separate check valve, and the standard air check valve I tried to use leaked due to too much pressure. I didn't like the fluval bubble counter anyway. The plastic was thin and cheap and I don't like how both hoses (in and out) are on the same side.

One way I could tell I had a leak was that my bubble rate was inconsistent. If you see 1 bubble per second for a while, then all of the sudden 8 or 10 bubbles very quickly, then you know you have a leak somewhere. A better way to find a leak is to dip the entire bubble counter (and check valve) into the aquarium or a glass of water. ... and then there's always the soapy-water-makes-bubbles method.

I'm fairly inexperienced, but I personally think that 60 psi might be enough to start causing damage to the diffuser. If you put too much pressure, then you'll get large bubbles that go around the ceramic disk instead of through it. Also 60psi seems like way more pressure than some of the push-on hose connections can handle. At that pressure some of the connections may start leaking. Regular, flexible air hose will most certainly leak at that pressure.

In order to get a good connection with the stiff high-pressure hose, dip the very end of the hose into a hot cup of water to soften it, then push on before it cools.

I have experienced "sticky" check valves before. Blow air through your valve before assembly to make sure it's working and that you have the direction of flow correct. I get the impression they're sometimes stuck shut when you first purchase them, but it's less likely they'll stick shut while you're using them regularly.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode