10 Gal. Planted Betta Tank (Help Needed :P) - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Blacktetra
  • 2 Post By Blacktetra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
10 Gal. Planted Betta Tank (Help Needed :P)

Hi! Decided to start a thread to show my journey towards a lightly planted betta tank. This is my first time trying a planted tank, so I've done research to try to get what will be best for my betta, my plants, and appearance. Honestly, I have some questions that I would appreciate help with. :P
1) Currently all I have in the tank is some sand. I have about 10 lbs. of Carib Sea Super Natural Moonlight Sand (white) in my tank. Should I add Flourite or some other substrate to help with my plants? I plan on using this fertilizer and these root capsules (root capsules for my Amazon Sword).

Some details about what I plan on doing:
Lighting
For now, I'm going to use the LEDs on my tank lid. The plants I am getting are low-light.

Plants
Moss
Marimo Moss Balls
Amazon Sword
Anubias barteri

Decor
Cholla Wood
Some small seashells
Some rocks (not gravel size rocks, but not large)

Equipment
CO2 Tank and Regulator
Filter, pump, tubing, and check valves

Will post pictures of some of this stuff as soon as I get them.

Quote:
Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive that is youer than you.
~Dr. Seuss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 03:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
An Amazon Sword gets huge fast. It will likely get too large for a 10 gallon very quickly. It can be a personal preference thing, but I think you have an issue with the scale. You have a small tank and the 2 plants you picked have very large leaves. A little growth from the sword and 8-10 leaves on the anubius and your tank will be full.

I don't know enough about the air pump you've picked to comment on it, however, the fact that it says it's good for 10 gallons makes me suspect. It seems like most aquarium and pond products, particularly, filters, pumps and lights are rated for 2-3 times what they should actually be used on.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

What would be the repercussions of the pump being too strong?

I picked large-leaf plants on purpose, but I don't know if it'll get to be too much. But I picked large leaf plants for my betta. The large leaves are for cover and for the betta to use as a "bed." I agree that it might become too much. What if I replace the Amazon Sword with this or this? I think I'd prefer the micro-sword, but what is your take on those to replace the Amazon Sword?

Got pictures of the tank as it stands (just sand) but will post tomorrow maybe.

Quote:
Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive that is youer than you.
~Dr. Seuss

Last edited by Darkblade48; 01-04-2017 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 01:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Why don't you tell me why you want a planted tank, and what your goal is, that may help us help you out.

Bump: I say that because your plan is a bit odd. Good, but a bit odd.

Many people start with a 10 gallon tank.
Many people start with an amazon sword and some moss (both fantastic beginner choices in general).
Many people choose betta fish as their main and primary tank occupants.
Not as many seem to jump into using CO2 right from the start. For one it's very expensive. Secondly, inexpensive components break and may not last long, ultimately wasting your money, thirdly it can greatly increase the skill you need to manage the tank as everything going on in the tank suddenly progresses much much faster. If you don't have the right kind and amount of light, and fertilizer, CO2 is mostly wasted.
vig and vig like this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am going for CO2 because I was trying to find what was best for my plants, and I thought that CO2 was what I needed to do. From the research I've done, I thought CO2 was one of the usual "musts" when it comes to a planted tank. Is this not the case?

What does anyone else thing about replacing the Amazon Sword? :/

Quote:
~Dr. Seuss
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 04:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
In general, there are two main methods to growing aquarium plants. With, and without CO2.

With CO2 you will need to dose a lot of fertilizers at least once a week, and you may need to do a large 50% removal of old tank water and replace it with new water once a week, and you will need to ensure that CO2 levels in the tank water don't go too high. You will also make much more use of such an aquarium if you have a good quality light too.

Without CO2 you will dose less fertilizer, you will need to be careful with how much light you provide, and you won't do so many larger water changes. Using the typical "non-co2" method you won't have to worry about over-dosing fertilizer either.

The difference is a lot of money, a lot of time, a lot of growth speed and some specific species of plants which just won't grow without CO2.
I highly recommend reading this simple summary of the method without CO2 by Sudeep Mandal here:
How to Setup a Low-tech Planted Tank: Planted Aquarium Guide ? Welcome to Sudeep Mandal's spot on the net

It truly covers all the basics. It's the method I use, and many others on this forum do too, it's generally easier, and it's a much better spot for someone brand new to the hobby to get started. There is a lot more room for error, fewer things to keep track of, and you'll get a good grasp of the basics.

CO2 is great. If I had the equipment I'd use it. But if you aren't planning on putting a ton of plants into a tank, your really wasting your money. It's kind of like buying a really nice car to drive to work, when you live across the street from your job.
JJ09 and JJ09 like this.

Christian, husband, brother, friend, hobbyist.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 08:12 PM
Planted Member

I'm a big fan of soil tanks personally. Aside from persistent algae issues (my lighting is definitely overboard), the plants and fish seem to be happy and I don't have to dose ferts. It's about as low-tech as you can get.

As far as plants, I've heard bettas love water wisteria. Thing grows like a weed so you'd need to stay on top of trimming. I haven't tried Monte Carlo, but micro sword really didn't do anything in my tank. I've had good luck with cryptocoryne wendtii and dwarf sagittaria though; the former is well on its way to taking over the bottom of my 10g shrimp tank.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 06:44 AM
Algae Grower

Java fern and anubias nana pettite are great for a low light easy peasy betta tank. Tie them to driftwood or rocks, don't bury their roots.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode