look what i found - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thumbs up look what i found

Every Thursday i go to a local farmers market, a couple weeks ago i found someone who makes rock sculptures. i asked him if i could get him to make me a custom one and he said oh yeah no problem.... so i described what i wanted and he made me a wonderful flower out of many types of rocks. i asked him about the glue he uses and he said he usually uses a special polymer mix but i told him that i thought it wouldnt do well in my planted tank so he generously did some research and found a "fish safe" polymer made with sand and a special mix.

i am extremely pleased with this piece and i hope to get another one made for my 110 gallon cichlid tank. i currently dont have mine in my tank becuase i had it made for my 55 gallon which is soon to be vacated (we are upgrading all our fish.... its a long process *sigh*) but i did take some pictures of mine and ill bring my camera to the farmers market on thursday. i paid 95$ for mine. he can make smaller or larger ones...

sorry for the shpeal guys... now for the pictures!!!!

Amy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Scarlet Badis)
Algae Pimp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 05:12 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
Wow! That would definitely be interesting in a planted tank. I bet you could make it work if the scape is right.

That's nice that he found some aquarium-safe glue for you. I bet most people wouldn't go that extra step.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 05:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
pretty nifty!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 05:43 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (18/100%)
That is pretty cool! I wonder what else he could make. What kind of stones are those though? Hopefully none of them will alter your water's ph and whatnot.

Nice find nonetheless

Last edited by Raiden; 07-04-2010 at 05:54 AM. Reason: syntax
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 05:52 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
That is pretty cool! I wonder what else he could make. What kind of stones are those though? Hopefully none of them will alter the alter your water's ph and whatnot.

Nice find nonetheless
That's what i was just thinking. I'd definitely check if those rocks are aquarium-safe before you put them in the tank. Maybe put the whole thing in a large container full of water, and test the water after a few days?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 06:52 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Nice. How sharp are those edges though?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Algae Grower

Lovely!
Any photos of it set up in your tank?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i did research on the rocks and he gave me a whole list of all the different types of rocks he used, i told him no sedimentry rocks at all and i said i wanted some petrified wood in it too.

i am planning on soaking it and testing the water to make sure. i dont want it to affect my tank. i think ill have alot of moss on the bottom and get a couple plants into the crevices. im not to worried about the edges, they aren't as sharp as they look. i can run my hand all over it and it isnt to sharp. i figure in a 55 gallon my rams wont be darting round to much... i will be putting it into a corner most likely and i dont think that i will be moving it around to much.

he has tonnes of designs and ill post more pics. im sure if anyone is interested i could see if he could ship them out, even if you just want to put them in your outdoor pond or your garden (thats what he really makes them for). ill get some pics and prices for everyone.

Amy

(Scarlet Badis)
Algae Pimp
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
That's really cool!

Tell him he needs to get a website set up!!

I'd put something like that in my garden, and definitely in my pond-to-be-someday...

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think I've read Amano interviews where he says petrified wood raises ph. I might be imagining that
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 08:38 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushr View Post
I think I've read Amano interviews where he says petrified wood raises ph. I might be imagining that
I remember that article, it was in TFH.

Petrified wood can leech and raise hardness/pH, but it depends on the water it's in (acidic water will usually cause rocks to leech more quickly than neutral/alkaline) and a good water change regimen can usually keep rock leeching from becoming a problem as long as the rocks aren't leeching too quickly.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

alright i got more pictures of these wonderful pieces of art.. if anyone wants i can get anything you want and ship it to you.. just to warn you my piece is 26.4 lbs. so that would affect shipping... i would just ship them at cost im certainly not looking to make a profit... i have tonnes of boxes and lots of packing material... (its rock... how fragile can it be) :P

anything that doesnt have a price available i could get for you and ill post his direct phone number so if you want to just get it straight from him you can.

::::NOTE:::: these are covered in a lacquer

well there you go enjoy!

(Scarlet Badis)
Algae Pimp
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 05:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)
Wow very pretty! That person is very creative!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

every week he has new pieces and he just does it as a hobby to cover any expences that his pension doesn't

Amy

(Scarlet Badis)
Algae Pimp
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Hah, that's really cool.

He should model some after well known sites like Stonehenge, the great pyramids, etc etc. =)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode