Deep substrate on 125G tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Deep substrate on 125G tank?

Good morning all! Long time lurker, first time poster. Ive been keeping a 90G planted tank for about 6 years now, and will be moving in the spring. When I move, Im going to be changing my current discus tank (125G) over to a planted tank, and will be putting a journal up here for support and advice. In the meantime, I wanted to introduce myself and ask a couple of simple questions. First, the size of my new tank is going to make Aquasoil or Aquasand unreasonable from a cost perspective. I plan to use Black Diamond blasting sand for the top layer of substrate, and was thinking of a combination of crushed lava rock and kitty litter for the base. Will I be able to add any significant depth to the substrate by doing it this way, or will I run into problems with an anaerobic substrate? I was thinking that the lava rock would prevent it from getting too compacted, but I worry that adding the clay will defeat that purpose. If lava rock and kitty litter wouldnt work, what could I use instead of Aquasand to get up to 6 or so of depth?

Also, Im having an issue with lighting as well. The tank measures 72x18x22 with two supports in the top (3- 24 sections). I cant find a reasonably priced LED light that is 72 long, and I cant use 2 36 lights because there is no support directly in the middle. This only leaves me using 3 24 lights or a T5 fixture (I hate fluorescent fixtures). My plan right now is to buy 3 Current Satellite+ Pro fixtures. Im sure that this will be enough PAR at the substrate, but will I have an issue with coverage from front to back (18)? If so, does anyone have any other fixtures in mind that would work for the same cost or less?

Thank you in advance for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 01:33 AM
Planted Member

Welcome! This forum is a great resource.

I have this same tank. My substrate is all sand. I know people are all over aquasoil and the like, but IMO, inert substrates will grow plants just fine - especially once the tank is a bit more established (i.e. lots of mulm mixed into the substrate.) Front to back coverage is an issue with 18" of depth, and I wound up with two rows of lights. I have 2 x planted+24/7 36" fixtures and two ecoxotic 36" fixtures. I have two 36" glass covers on the tank, so this works fine. It's a great size tank.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 02:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Well it had been my understanding for a time that over 3" of substrate and you risk anaerobic pockets that could potentially be lethal to fish if you stir up the substrate. But on the other hand, Tom Barr says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
I have tanks with ADA that are 6-7 years old and 10-12" deep in the rear without issues. My 180 has been going since Feb 2006.

If there is not much organic matter in the sediment, then the reduction CANNOT take place at an intense level. So you will not get hydrogen sulfide etc. Also, strong root growth will add a lot of O2 to the sediment, this fact is over looked in most sediment discussions. Same is true for MTS tanks, but the redox will be more negative at a shallower depth depending on how much organic matter is added, they do tend to mineralize the MTS prior to use for this reason.
And he has probably forgotten more about planted tanks than I'll ever learn about them.

About the lights, Beamswork makes 72" lights that should be able to meet your budget. A pair of these might do the trick.

https://www.amazon.com/Beamswork-Tim...eamswork+72%22

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10...-opinions.html

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaye View Post
Welcome! This forum is a great resource.

I have this same tank. My substrate is all sand. I know people are all over aquasoil and the like, but IMO, inert substrates will grow plants just fine - especially once the tank is a bit more established (i.e. lots of mulm mixed into the substrate.) Front to back coverage is an issue with 18" of depth, and I wound up with two rows of lights. I have 2 x planted+24/7 36" fixtures and two ecoxotic 36" fixtures. I have two 36" glass covers on the tank, so this works fine. It's a great size tank.
Thank you for the info about the substrate. Unfortunately for me, the 36" lights won't work. There is no brace in the dead center of the tank. I could just put the legs of the lights on the glass piece, but then I would still have the problem of shadows from the 2 braces and the center lid being unusable.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbytes View Post
Well it had been my understanding for a time that over 3" of substrate and you risk anaerobic pockets that could potentially be lethal to fish if you stir up the substrate. But on the other hand, Tom Barr says:

And he has probably forgotten more about planted tanks than I'll ever learn about them.

About the lights, Beamswork makes 72" lights that should be able to meet your budget. A pair of these might do the trick.

https://www.amazon.com/Beamswork-Tim...eamswork+72%22

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10...-opinions.html
Thank you fore the link to Mr. Barr. He is surely a legend in the planted tank community. As far as the Beamswork light, isn't 10000K far too blue for our needs? Does this fixture cover any of the red spectrum at all? I'm going to be going full high tech, with pressurized CO2 and automatic EI dosing. I want to be sure I'm getting the right lighting so I don't end up with an Algae farm.

I was looking at Dustinsfishtanks.com (also his youtube channel), and it looks like he makes 72" fixtures for planted tanks. Unfortunately I can't find any reviews on his lights, and he doesn't offer any PAR or spectrum data. Does anyone have any experience with his lights?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 03:57 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
https://www.amazon.com/Beamswork-650...ork+72%22+6500

This one is 6500K.

But i'm in the same boat myself. I have 2 36" Finnex Planted Plus and looking to add more light without breaking the bank. I just had some thin glas strip cut at lowes and use that to place the legging on for the Finnexs. Might pick up one of these to add to my setup

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode