Any truth to this? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Remmy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Any truth to this?

I am pretty new to the aquarium hobby, however I thought this to be an interesting answer to one of my questions. Went to one of my LFS and asked them a question about fish just to see what there opinion was and they told me, "If you have a fully planted tank that you can have more fish then without a planted tank." Is there any truth to this? Seems crazy to me in a way... Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 11:03 AM
Planted Member

It is true in the sense that live plants will consume the nutrients found in fish waste which aids in keeping water quality in good condition
You could house the same number of fish in a non planted tank but then you'll be reliant solely on water changes to keep the water quality good
I'd say its not so much that plants allow you more fish but rather that having plants makes it easier to keep your water quality high by not relying solely on water changes
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

Last edited by Remmy; 12-30-2016 at 11:22 AM. Reason: .
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 11:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy View Post
I'd say its not so much that plants allow you more fish but rather that having plants makes it easier to keep your water quality high by not being relying solely on water changes
This is my opinion as well. It just makes it easier! Plus, plants are a natural hiding spot and may allow fish to coexist more easily.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was on that thinking path slightly as well, but it kind of threw me for a loop when they said you could have more. I was thinking, "That seems like you're just overcrowding the tank more!" Thanks for your guys input!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 11:50 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Wastes aside, a planted tank will not magically make your tank bigger to house more fish. Example, say you have a 10 gallon and say that your stocking limit is 10 neon tetras. Adding plants will not magically make it easier to stock, say 15 neon tetras, because they will still need the physical space to be comfortable.

Your stocking level should be the same with/without plants. Adding plants does not allow you to overstock a tank.

Love your tanks and they will love you back
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 12:20 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissCheeseHead View Post

Your stocking level should be the same with/without plants. Adding plants does not allow you to overstock a tank.
From a space perspective that is certainly the case
In terms of bioload if nitrogen is being supplemented at max stock level then easing off on the N dose would allow you more fish leeway
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 12:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy View Post
From a space perspective that is certainly the case
In terms of bioload if nitrogen is being supplemented at max stock level then easing off on the N dose would allow you more fish leeway
Right, but waste aside, my point was that a 10 gallon would still house 10 neons (in my example) and you couldn't magically house 15 neons just because you added plants. The physical space is not there.

Edit: I see you edited your post

Love your tanks and they will love you back
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 05:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The main reason fish need the space in a home aquarium is largely based on bioload. If you had 10 tetras (example) in a 10 gallon but sumped to a 100g tank, those fish are now in 110g of water regardless of only having 10 gallons of space.

Obviously confined space is still an issue but you could keep a 10" inch goldfish in the example (sumped 10g) tank above as far as water quality is concerned. Obviously there is still things wrong with this example but your water quality wouldn't be a concern.

The shop guy didn't necessarily give you false information, just not all of it. Yes, as far as fish that don't get that big (<1.5") you could get away with conservatively overstocking in a well established heavily planted tank (regarding waste) and 10 gallons is as small as I would go if I were to do that. But like previously mentioned, your tank doesn't just get bigger (water volume) because of plants, it's much the opposite.

Above all else, the tank owner can have a tank as healthy or sick as they want with any fish, just comes down to properly maintaining such a small space, which can become a full-time job in and of itself.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 05:24 PM
Algae Grower

All other reasoning aside there is a point where a tank looks like it's over stocked and distracts from its beauty. I think that occurs in many cases prior to bioload issues.

Previously known as Fresh.Salty
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyRob View Post
The main reason fish need the space in a home aquarium is largely based on bioload. If you had 10 tetras (example) in a 10 gallon but sumped to a 100g tank, those fish are now in 110g of water regardless of only having 10 gallons of space.

Obviously confined space is still an issue but you could keep a 10" inch goldfish in the example (sumped 10g) tank above as far as water quality is concerned. Obviously there is still things wrong with this example but your water quality wouldn't be a concern.

The shop guy didn't necessarily give you false information, just not all of it. Yes, as far as fish that don't get that big (<1.5") you could get away with conservatively overstocking in a well established heavily planted tank (regarding waste) and 10 gallons is as small as I would go if I were to do that. But like previously mentioned, your tank doesn't just get bigger (water volume) because of plants, it's much the opposite.

Above all else, the tank owner can have a tank as healthy or sick as they want with any fish, just comes down to properly maintaining such a small space, which can become a full-time job in and of itself.
Interesting. Thank you for your input!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 05:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrieGuy View Post
I am pretty new to the aquarium hobby, however I thought this to be an interesting answer to one of my questions. Went to one of my LFS and asked them a question about fish just to see what there opinion was and they told me, "If you have a fully planted tank that you can have more fish then without a planted tank." Is there any truth to this? Seems crazy to me in a way... Thanks!
Duh, watch Bio-Dome with Pauley Shore, buuuuuuuuuddy

All joking aside, sure, its testament to the symbiotic relationship between plant and animal

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode