Stems with DSM? DSM on Large Tanks (125)? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Stems with DSM? DSM on Large Tanks (125)?

I was thinking about going with the dry start method for 3 or 4 weeks on my new 125 gallon tank, but it seems most journals I've seen are for much smaller tanks, more like 10 or 20 gallons, and a 55 that didn't go well.

Is there something about the dry start method that makes it unsuitable for large tanks? Is it more difficult to maintain humidity with the increased space? Or, does anyone have success stories about going with a dry start in a large tank?

I also wanted to know how well dry start works for stem plants, or if there's any extra steps. I'm planning on using dwarf hairgrass, dwarf sag, and crypt tropica in the fore- and midground, which shouldn't be an issue. I was thinking about Ludwigia repens, Hygrophila pinnatifida, Alternanthera reineckii cardinalis, Hygrophila corymbosa compact, and possibly Hygrophila pinnatifida for the background.

Here's the hardscape I have laid out so far. Mostly landscaping rocks and Manzanita. I also had some mopani laying around, and there's a big hunk of Malaysian wood you can see peeking out on the left hand side which was a Christmas present.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 12:00 PM
Planted Member

You could definitely add stems as part of your dry start, they don't require anything special, just humidity
The problem with the stems is that they'll grow in their emmersed form obviously, which for many stems is different to what the submersed form looks like
Unlike carpet plants that will look more or less the same when you fill up, your stems are going to transition to their submersed form under water
So half the stem will be emmersed, you fill the tank and then the tops will start growing submersed, which may look a little weird but not a deal breaker
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Okay, thanks for the input. I've decided to go ahead and give it a shot and started a tank journal for it here.

A lot of the stem plants I started the tank out with were growing up out of the tank already anyway, so hopefully it won't look too goofy after flooding it.

Tags
125 gallon, dry start, dsm, stem plants

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode