New Fluval aquarium line - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
New Fluval aquarium line

I searched and couldnt find anything on these tanks but today while at my local petsmart they had these tanks for $60. Never seem them before. I've seen the edge tanks which were next to it but not these. Thoughts? I found a website that had alittle more info on these. Apparently theres a shrimp variation EBI i think it was called and also a Fluval Flora that comes with pressurized co2 and mineralized substrate. Heres a link. The chi seemed really interesting given how the filter was set up. It gives it sorta a waterfall esque time of feel with the water being pushed up through the rocks and over the sides and back into the aquarium. Im sure you could hang a light over the top and itll be ok. The led is submerged in this setup so an aesthetic light added over would not counteract with the overall "look" of the aquarium. Still at $60 and it being a 5 gallon aquarium it might be wise to go after an ADA cube or Do!Aqua tank. http://www.aquascaperz.com/2010/05/1...-starter-kits/
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...t.php?sid=2815

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 12:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Looks pretty cool and aesthetic IMO. Any pictures of the Flora version?
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

New Fluval aquarium line

I'm sure there may be some around online. They only had the chi. When I searched for that the others came up on those links.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 03:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

Whoa that's cool. I'll be first in line to get the Flora version if it has built in pressurized CO2 and decent CFL lighting. What's the size of the tank?

ETA: After some googling...

Quote:
The Fluval Flora aquarium is based along the same lines as the Fluval EBI shrimp aquarium, being a 30 litre glass tank with a curved front and a glass lid.

The Fluval Flora nano aquarium comes with a small pressurised CO2 unit to add carbon dioxide to the water to enhance plant growth.

This is based on a small 88g disposable gas canister, and both the CO2 unit and replacement bottles will be sold separately for use on other aquariums.

The range also includes long-reach planting scissors and planting tongs to aid aquascaping. Prices and availability have yet to be confirmed.

So basically it looks like an 8 gallon Finnex tank that uses CO2 cartridges which will probably be $$$ to replace. I think I'll pass.

Tony

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and my

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

New Fluval aquarium line

Per the website:

Hagen has moved into the planted aquarium scene in a big way with a new range of planting equipment, substrates, CO2 and a special planted aquarium kit.

The Fluval Flora aquarium is based along the same lines as the Fluval EBI shrimp aquarium, being a 30 litre glass tank with a curved front and a glass lid.

Unlike the Fluval EBI, which was also launched today at Interzoo, it includes a soil-based substrate with added minerals, Hagen said that the Fluval Flora soil is designed purely to promote plant growth.
The Fluval Flora nano aquarium comes with a small pressurised CO2 unit to add carbon dioxide to the water to enhance plant growth.

This is based on a small 88g disposable gas canister, and both the CO2 unit and replacement bottles will be sold separately for use on other aquariums.

The range also includes long-reach planting scissors and planting tongs to aid aquascaping. Prices and availability have yet to be confirmed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
PFK jut previewed the Chi tanks.

Eheim Pimp Club member #414, 2076 Pro 3e
Fluval G6
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 03:50 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I was told that by Christmas there will be a 12G Fluval Edge on the market.
same set up as the 6G.

80G Planted Rescape

55G Planted

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 03:56 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Whats up with the packaging on the Fluval Chi? It has a pic of 3 goldfish in the tank on the package. NO WAY is that possible.
So.... people are going to buy that tank and put 3 goldfish in there in within 3 hours they will all be dead.

80G Planted Rescape

55G Planted

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 05:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingraysrule View Post
Whats up with the packaging on the Fluval Chi? It has a pic of 3 goldfish in the tank on the package. NO WAY is that possible.
That's nothing new. Aquarium manufacturers have been doing this for ages. Take a look at what's on the Biorb's box.

Apparently the little undergravel filter could sustain all 5 goldfishes.

Tony

My

and my

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 01:36 AM
Planted Member

I saw a Chi out of the box today at PetSmart. Its kind of cheap looking. Maybe its the plastic plants, or the fake looking rocks, but it looked like one of those 6" Zen waterfalls you buy at Dollar General.

non ducor duco
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 03:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Guess. I'll hold off and see what they look like up close. I went to the local Petco here, but they didn't have anything besides the Edge.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 12:15 AM
Algae Grower

I just posted some info on The EDGE Thread about these and then came across this thread.

i hope they the other 2 come on the market soon and hope the come out with the 12 gallon EDGE. it would be really cool.

-they also came out with a 2 gallon pico called the spec

Last edited by soup_nazi; 07-14-2010 at 02:37 AM.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 03:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
the pictures on the box look cheezy they look really clean out of the box
a LFS near me has a bunch and are looking to set one up somewhere in the store. they also have the betta tank version
comes with a little cube tank with a lid and a led light

The Chi comes with gravel and decorative stones basically you just need a heater and its set for low light plants

the betta tank comes with gravel as well
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 06:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)
There are videos for the Fluval Chi, Flora, and Spec on youtube now. At around the 1:30 mark when the Fluval rep talks about the mini CO2 canister, he says you can put it on a timer, which would make that thing more useful than the Pierce CO2 system. I'm not a fan of the "3D background" and also don't know if the 13W light is enough to grow high light plants in that thing.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 06:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

How do you put a CO2 unit on a timer without a solenoid? There's nothing to plug in.

Here's my thread on the CO2 system: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/eq...l-co2-kit.html

Tony

My

and my

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode