• 2 Post By natemcnutty
  • 2 Post By sharambil
  • 2 Post By sharambil

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cleaning New Stones

I picked up some seiryu/yin stones and they're pretty dirty, some have moss on it. I've scrubbed a few with a toothbrush in a bucket full of water but it's taking some time. I wonder if boiling them or soaking in bleach is the way to go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 07:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Boiling is a big no no as air pockets can expand and cause the stone to explode. Bleach will be fine but will kill the moss of you wanted to clean it. Just be sure to thoroughly rinse with dechlorinated water afterwards.

If you want to keep the moss, I'd rinse really well with water coming out from your water change, then leave it sit in a tub of tank water with a bunch of snails from your tank (if you have any). I usually do a bleach soak, dechlorinated water, and then do the tank water soak with snails for a few weeks before adding to my tank.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Econde and Econde like this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

cool, thanks I'll be going the bleach route. Another note for you guys if you ever decide to setup a reef tank, never boil live rock as there's a chance it can release poly toxins.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 09:23 PM
Algae Grower

If you're going to bleach anything going in your tank I recommend not only cleaning it in tap water but put it in a bucket with a large dose of dechlorinator, then rinse again in tap and allow it to dry. All the little nooks in your stone can trap some bleach.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 10:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
Boiling is a big no no as air pockets can expand and cause the stone to explode. Bleach will be fine but will kill the moss of you wanted to clean it. Just be sure to thoroughly rinse with dechlorinated water afterwards.

If you want to keep the moss, I'd rinse really well with water coming out from your water change, then leave it sit in a tub of tank water with a bunch of snails from your tank (if you have any). I usually do a bleach soak, dechlorinated water, and then do the tank water soak with snails for a few weeks before adding to my tank.

boiling is at your own risk but its a 1/1000 kind of deal, I boil All of my rocks no matter what, I have had no problems and the outcome is outstanding.. I usually boil my rocks for about 30 minutes, or until I see all the crap floating at the top of the water. then I dump out the water, let the rock sit and cool, then dose it with some cold water *slowly* then I add to the tank or put it in storage...
Works every single time.. no problems.. Also I use the vinegar testing for rocks I pick up while on trips, pour some vinegar on the rock and with a microscope see if there is any fizzing, if its fizzing that's usually a no-no
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 10:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
boiling is at your own risk but its a 1/1000 kind of deal, I boil All of my rocks no matter what, I have had no problems and the outcome is outstanding.. I usually boil my rocks for about 30 minutes, or until I see all the crap floating at the top of the water. then I dump out the water, let the rock sit and cool, then dose it with some cold water *slowly* then I add to the tank or put it in storage...
Works every single time.. no problems.. Also I use the vinegar testing for rocks I pick up while on trips, pour some vinegar on the rock and with a microscope see if there is any fizzing, if its fizzing that's usually a no-no
Depends on the type of rock, but it's so not worth the risk. A better route would be to surround them in cookie sheets (just to be cautious) and put them in the oven at 160 for 15 minutes or maybe put them in your dishwasher. Most bacteria dies off at 150F, so no need to get the heat to boiling and risk it.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 12:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Depends on the type of rock, but it's so not worth the risk. A better route would be to surround them in cookie sheets (just to be cautious) and put them in the oven at 160 for 15 minutes or maybe put them in your dishwasher. Most bacteria dies off at 150F, so no need to get the heat to boiling and risk it.
I was just making the point that boiling is ok, there is the risk they will explode, yes, but if you drop a rock QUICKLY into already boiling water than its more of a 1/5 risk, If you put the rock in cold water, then slowly bring it to a boil, the risk is extremely low... But yes the oven method is a good method to, have tried it once but I didn't prefer it over boiling.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 02:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Well, if @BettaBettas ever suddenly stops posting, at least we'll know why...

In all seriousness though, if the rock has trapped air or moisture inside, you would never know. This can expand too rapidly for the space and cause the rock to explode. Best case scenario you ruined your pot or pan... Worst case you kill someone who is trying to figure out why rocks are in a pot on the stove...

BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 02:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Well, if @BettaBettas ever suddenly stops posting, at least we'll know why...

In all seriousness though, if the rock has trapped air or moisture inside, you would never know. This can expand too rapidly for the space and cause the rock to explode. Best case scenario you ruined your pot or pan... Worst case you kill someone who is trying to figure out why rocks are in a pot on the stove...

just giving my 2 cents as you gave yours why don't we both move on? I have my way, you have yours, OP has found his
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 02:45 AM
Banned

What does op stand for? I've always wondered lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shane P.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 02:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharambil View Post
What does op stand for? I've always wondered lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
original poster, lol I had to ask to know too
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 04:02 AM
Banned

Oh makes sense now... ROFL

Shane P.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 04:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharambil View Post
Oh makes sense now... ROFL
what does ROFL stand for, this is kind of ironic....
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 04:16 AM
Banned

Rolling on the Floor Laughing

I'm dead

Shane P.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode