Alot of brown sediment settling in the tank... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Alot of brown sediment settling in the tank...

Recently re-setup my 75 gallon tank after moving. It is decently planted and have a handful of fish... the issue I'm running in to is that I'm getting a lot of brown sediment that is settling on the plants and on the substrate. I don't believe this is brown algae because when I make a little bit of current over it, it flows through the water. I also have some particles that seem to never really settle.

Will this eventually be broken down once it's more established? Or is there something I could do to help clear this up? (besides water changes)

I currently am running a rena filstar xp3 with matrix, seagel, and purigen, and also foam inserts + filter floss for media. It's also inline with a UV and CO2 reactor. 4x65 compact's - 2 6700K & 2 10,000K.

The tank has been set up for 2 months now, and I only added fish about 2-3 weeks ago along with the plants about a month ago. Current livestock is...

2 golden rams
5 threadfin tetra's
3 otto's
2 simeranis
2 bumble bee goby's
+ assortment of all kinds of plants

only able to do weekly plant supplement dosing due to traveling for work

I hope this is something that will eventually be consumed by the bacteria in my tank, but was just curious if anyone had run into this before and tracked a rough timeline of how long it took before it went away.

I am almost positive that this is not a brown algae, but I could be completely wrong.

Thanks for the help in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 03:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Sounds like a lack of flow for starters.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 03:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by over_stocked View Post
Sounds like a lack of flow for starters.
I agree....ditch that filter floss...

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ok... i feel like the flow has been better than when I previously set it up, but I will give it a shot. I'll take the floss out when I clean the filter tomorrow morning... besides the flow is there anything else it could be?
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

keep the sponges?? or toss those too?
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 03:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

You likely need MORE flow than that filter will offer. I get by in a 75 gallon tank with a sunsun 303b, which is way under rated for this tank size... but I do it with 3 powerheads to keep flow going. Something in the Koralia line will be what you want. Nice wide stream of flow. The more you cram into a filter the less it does.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I understand it will cut down on the flow... but to be honest, I've had some really good success with this filter on my 75 gallon and have never seen this type of buildup before. Well atleast not this much buildup. I will definitely clear out the filter.

One Q...

Do you put the flow directly into the plants, like you would in a reef tank on the corals?
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

and what about the sponges?? Do I need those in there? I don't necessarily want to pull it out because of the housed bacteria, but will the bio-media consume these particles if I'm able to increase the flow.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 03:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
What substrate are you using?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm using a combo of flourite, sand, and ada soil
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm more concerned with the build up settling on the plants more so than the substrate.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 04:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Sounds like you need to do a gravel vac smart guy...

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 04:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If it is just falling down and not getting sucked in filter, you are 1) not syphoning it out doing water changes, 2) not doing water changes 3) don't have enough water movement. Regardless of how it has worked in the past, it isn't now, which is obvious. Planted tanks need pretty significant water movement.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

AWESOME GUYS!! Thanks for the smart a** remarks. I've been doing this for 7 years, I do water changes WITH gravel vacing once a week at a minimum usually twice a week if I'm not traveling. Sooo... I wasn't looking for some beginner advice bs... I was hoping maybe someone on the forum had run into a similar situation and might take the time to explain how they had gotten through it versus making some pathedic two second reply... thanks for the weak advice bsmith.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

not aimed at you overstock...

I've been on many forums and I gave this one a shot thinking that the people on it might have some intelligent responses, but it's clear that it's another forum lacking intelligent aquarium keepers (not the majority), but seriously that was weak.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode