What Makes This Hobby So Much Fun? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Lightbulb What Makes This Hobby So Much Fun?

Seriously! What makes this hobby so much fun? Why do we start with little 10g's and in 6 months have a XXXg planted aquarium. I mean, all we are doing is getting some fish and plants (and a whole lot of money) and putting them into a glass cage only to have to clean up fish poop, scrape algae, and do all the other stuff we do. I enjoy the challenge of keeping these creatures and plants. I enjoy water changes and scraping algae, but whenever I am asked, "Why do you like aquariums?" My answere is, I just do! I can't really explain it. I think it kinda has to do with the idea of having a slice of a river inside your home. Like having a little bit of nature that you can change and construct, not that an aquarium is at all natural. -End Ramble- What makes this hobby so much fun to you?

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 08:40 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
i think its tiny bits of success surrounded by mountains of failure that do it for me.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 08:50 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
It is in a way your personal piece of living art.

Everybody should and do enjoy making art.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 08:51 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

+1 mistergreen
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 08:51 PM
ShrimpRetirement

PTrader: (397/100%)
As a kid growing up my parents always made every Sunday night "Nature" night. The PBS show that aired every Sunday night back then. I'm not sure if this show still exists. I was always intrigued at the natural world and wanted to be a biologist of some sort when I grew up. Didn't turn out that way in reality but I think being exposed to those shows at a young age helped mold me into who I am when it comes to appreciating the natural world.

I knew absolutely nothing about growing aquatic plants when I started planted tanks, but because of the strong interest from my childhood memories of these Nature broadcasts and many others such as "Wild America" with Marty Stouffer, I am who I am today. I'm a nature lover. Simple as that. I'm sure most of you here can relate .

|
|
|
|
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 08:54 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

i guess thats the samething as when instead of playing baseball or football as a kid my father used to take me out hiking, fishing, and camping... You develop fond memories and stick with it...
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 09:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I like this post. I think the majority of the pleasure that i receive from my tanks comes from being able to create and sustain my own little underwater world. Dont take this the wrong way but its kinda like playing god. We have the ultimate say in every last detail of our own personal ecosystem. It thrives or it dies solely because of our actions. When it dies we act frivolously to balance our creation and when it thrives we are rewarded with endless hours of mindless gazing. For me there is nothing more calming, rewarding and entertaining than watching my fish swim, explore and interact in the mini ecosystem that i created for them.

In the beginning: DUKES 55g

DUKES Fluval Edge

Last edited by MlDukes; 07-02-2010 at 02:56 AM.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 09:05 PM
ShrimpRetirement

PTrader: (397/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by F22 View Post
i guess thats the samething as when instead of playing baseball or football as a kid my father used to take me out hiking, fishing, and camping... You develop fond memories and stick with it...
I'm willing to bet 99% of the members here like camping/fishing/hiking.

|
|
|
|
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 09:06 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

i also kinda feel that if i am not breeding animals, fish or propagating plants i shouldn't have a tank
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 09:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
Agreed!

In the beginning: DUKES 55g

DUKES Fluval Edge

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 09:15 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

@speedie, i'm sure you're right...

I will admit though, during the summer months my tank does not get the attention it deserves.. I hike, fish or camp between 3 and 5 days a week, if im working, i usually go before, so that makes water changes seem a bit less important...

anyone else?
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 10:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
a few words:

the pure satisfaction when we get everything just right, even though we have spent endless hours and numerous headaches trying to get one thing right, only to have another wrong following the initial problem.

Seeing that look on a relative or friend or wife/girlfriend's face when they see that it is finally right, ***not knowing the cost***

>>>For example, just the other day my grandparents were in town for a visit. They had seen my tank about 4 months ago when the current scape had started. It has filled in and is starting to look much better (minus some problems, we all have those though, right?) He actually went out and got my G-ma and told her how good it looked. That night my G-pa asked if he could steal my room for the night because he wanted to watch it for longer. (fish included)
<<<<-------->>>>

Also, I think everyone on here improves each other by giving quick advice, varying levels of expertize, and just over all attitude of you guys towards having aquariums. It's made entering to a world of plants so much more enjoyable and less stressful.

If we were truly worried about money, this would not be the hobby to start. (quickly found that out myself, planning and gathering materials for my first 75G.)

-Martin

ps(have only just recently started planted aquariums. Experience: 6 months, and many more to come!
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
and mountain biking.

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 11:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
i agree with it being living art. an underwater garden. i enjoy its beauty.

and odly enough i enjoy algae. i like the challenge of trying to get rid of it.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 12:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Scratch that, being outdoors near nature. I absolutely love being in the woods behind our house(or any woods) I feel at home there. My bestfriend calls me nature boy. I've been through ALL of the woods, but everytime there's always something different. Nothing stays the same. Different things pop up at different times of the year. And it's peaceful.
As with planted tanks, they bring calmness to my mind.

And to be honest, how many of us pull things that we see from our backyards or on trips and put in a tank??? I know I have a bunch of times. We pull things from nature, to bring nature closer to us.

Is there anyone else that finds something that would make a tank look 100% better and their eyes just light up like a little kid opening a gift??? I know I have.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode