How to fill tank without disturbing plants and sand? - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
How to fill tank without disturbing plants and sand?

Right now I have a homemade slate cave in my 60 gallon that is mostly used to pour water in on with my water changes. I have the Aqueon siphon but the sink adapter dont fit and I dont want to mess with the sink (girlfriend wont be happy). Is there any anything that I could do or am I stuck with this big slate cave?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 01:52 PM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
well if you are having troubles with when the water hits the subsrate or the rocks in this case? then put your hand under the water or put a little plate
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 01:59 PM
Algae Grower

I did the same as you with the cave when I wanted a cave in my tank. Other then the cave I've done shallow bowls that can be removed after filling or used drift wood in the tank to dribble water down until it was high enough to fill the rest of the way with out disturbing anything.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
well if you are having troubles with when the water hits the subsrate or the rocks in this case? then put your hand under the water or put a little plate
The tank is heavily planted. I dont want to crush the plants. I'm not having problems, i just wanted to replace the rocks with driftwood or more plants
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 03:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
The tank is heavily planted. I dont want to crush the plants. I'm not having problems, i just wanted to replace the rocks with driftwood or more plants
You could:
1) use a pitcher. I assume you're using buckets since the sink isn't hooked up. Still do that, but dunk a pitcher in the bucket then pour into tank, using your hand to shield the flow. Will take longer, but all you need extra is a pitcher

2) make a refill tool. If you decide on using the sink adapter later on, or if you ever use a power head to pump water back in, this tool will work. Basically, you just cap off the bottom of the siphon and drill holes in the lower area of the siphon cylinder. Turns Jet mode into Shower mode on the refill. Tweak it to customize to your needs, like size and amount of holes, secure the hose end and cap end so it stays together, etc. Can be as simple as modifying your Aqueon siphon, or make one from plumbing parts from the store. Can even make it with a J bend to hang on your tank for hands free filling.

3) get a shower caddy. The thing folks use to plant stuff higher in the tank, or have terrestrial plants above the surface of the water. You could strategically place a shower caddy inside the front or side wall (via its suction cups) and pour your water bucket over that to block the flow. Like and extra hand in the tank...

4) use a step ladder. If you have the room and supplies, place a step ladder next to the tank and elevate your water buckets higher than the tank. Now you can use a siphon hose to fill the tank slowly. Depending on the diameter of hose and height above aquarium this could still disturb your substrate. Make sure flow isn't too strong and/or clamp the hose to hold it parallel to substrate.

Good Luck, Hopefully something in there was helpful!

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 03:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
I made a PVC "tool" to refill my tank. It hooks over the edge of the tank and then drops about 1/2 way into the tank. From there it is a "T" with bars going out about 10". On each bar I drilled about 5 large-ish holes that face up toward the surface. This allows me to refill the tank without disturbing the substrate/plants and I also do not need to hold it. I can upload a picture if you would like but it is very simple and cost about $3.
jcwtexas, jcwtexas, Econde and 1 others like this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the help guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea View Post
I made a PVC "tool" to refill my tank. It hooks over the edge of the tank and then drops about 1/2 way into the tank. From there it is a "T" with bars going out about 10". On each bar I drilled about 5 large-ish holes that face up toward the surface. This allows me to refill the tank without disturbing the substrate/plants and I also do not need to hold it. I can upload a picture if you would like but it is very simple and cost about $3.
When you get a chance can I see a picture?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 04:31 PM
Planted Member

I use a python to do water changes in my 120. Because I don't want to sit there and watch it the whole time, I got a brand-new, never used, knee-high nylon stocking and put it over the siphon/ vacuum and of the python. While I originally did this to prevent fish from swimming up the siphon while I wasn't looking, it is had a double benefit. When I reversed the flow to fill the tank, the nylon stocking does a great job of softening the impact as the water comes back into the tank.

Tanks a bunch!

My current 120 tank journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Marcia
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 04:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here is the picture. Sorry it is not on the tank, but this should give you a good idea of what it is. I actually did the water change yesterday. I use a pump in a trashcan to fill the tank when I do a water change (~27 gallons). The pump uses 1/2" tubing that I then connect to the PVC "apparatus" via a barb fitting.

Econde and Econde like this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea View Post
Here is the picture. Sorry it is not on the tank, but this should give you a good idea of what it is. I actually did the water change yesterday. I use a pump in a trashcan to fill the tank when I do a water change (~27 gallons). The pump uses 1/2" tubing that I then connect to the PVC "apparatus" via a barb fitting.

The picture didnt show up
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 07:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
The picture didnt show up
Strange, it is showing fine for me. Here is the URL, let me know if it doesn't work - https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pH...27_094049c.jpg
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 04:30 PM
Algae Grower

Well like was said before the hand breaking up the water as you pour it in the tank is the best way to bucket fill a tank. The upwards pointing T is great, when you get your house hooked up.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 05:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I use a pitcher like mentioned above. I have a plastic cup that is just for tank use, I hold that just under the water and pour from the pitcher into that, it just ripples out without disturbing much at all. (Otherwise my long-leaved plants get tangled in each other w/the sudden water flow and I am particular enough about appearance I would untangle them all again afterwards). If the cup in the water is aimed towards tank wall it breaks up the flow even more. When water level is higher I just pour it onto my hand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 05:45 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
easiest way to fill the tank if you are using a hose - just tie bag over it )) let it touch the ground and tie plastic bag over it... works great....
and also to refill your tank you can use 5 gal reusable polycarbonate bottle - much more comfortable than a bucket, you can control flow and its easy to hold ))
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 05:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Can also use a colander. Some have handles that stretch wide enough to sit across the tank like this one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_i=289761

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode