Sick fish!! Need help! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sick fish!! Need help!

OK, so I woke up this morning and realized all my fish were at the surface gasping for air. I recently just added 2 2 liter DIY co2 last week and everything seemed fine. The fish are absolutely lethargic. enough for me to pick em up with my hands and for one of them to get stuck in the siphon tube during water change. My pleco keeps coming up to the surface as well. I turned the heat down to 76 and removed the co2 and installed an air stone thinking that it was just poor o2 levels.
However with a closer look i noticed a thick film on the fish and yellow spots on my pleco. there are also free swimming worms in the water. I am about to CLOUT the *&$# out of the tank and hope for the best. I removed the carbon as well.

Fish are
5 Tiger Barbs
1 6" Pleco
1 Rainbow shark

1 causality, and i am sure the shark wont make it through the medication process since he doesn't have scales, but i don't want to transfer him to my other non affected tank and risk him bringing something over there.

Any other thoughts on what I should do? Thanks for all the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 08:05 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Did you also check your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels?

How long has it been since you added any new fish to the tank?

Could you post a picture of some of the affected fish?

Why'd you pick Clout for a med? Based on the description so far, if it's not ammonia burn, it sounds to me more like a bad bacterial infection, along the lines of Columnaris...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ammonia 0ppm

Just added the 2 Tiger barbs about 4 days ago with the shark,
the rest have been in there for about two weeks.

I chose clout because it is good for ick and also good for external/internal parasites.
I have i have used it before and had great success. My fish are also flicking a lot.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 08:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Sounds like you had 2 problems at once. The co2 gassed the fish a bit, the worms are obviously parasites, possible attacking the gills of the fish. Medicate, increase temperatures, add appropriate amount of salt.

This is why you should always quarantine your new fish. Basically you bought sick fish or dumped in infected water. Sorry Charlie.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 08:56 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Most fish parasites are too small to see, anchor worms being one of few exceptions. So I actually doubt that the worms you're seeing in the water are parasites.

And it's also very unlikely that parasites would have taken out all of your fish as quickly- for all your fish to be affected all at the same time it's usually a bacterial or viral infection or water quality issue.

If your test readings are correct and your water quality IS good, then I still lean towards you should treat with an antibiotic.

If it's a viral infection there's nothing you can really do anyways except maintain good water quality and hope for the best.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 04:26 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Most fish parasites are too small to see, anchor worms being one of few exceptions. So I actually doubt that the worms you're seeing in the water are parasites.

And it's also very unlikely that parasites would have taken out all of your fish as quickly- for all your fish to be affected all at the same time it's usually a bacterial or viral infection or water quality issue.

If your test readings are correct and your water quality IS good, then I still lean towards you should treat with an antibiotic.

If it's a viral infection there's nothing you can really do anyways except maintain good water quality and hope for the best.

+1

The fact that these worms are free-floating virtually rules out that they are parasitic. I have these free floating worms in my cycling 55 gallon tank with no inhabitants...they have been in there for weeks (prob hitched a ride with the plants, although I still haven't been able to find a species name for them).

The worms aren't the problem.

As states before a film or yellow spots indicates velvet, some protozoan disease, or columnaris (as mentioned above).

I'd use maracide {treats ich, velvet, protozoans} (which is easier on the fish than clout) in conjunction with maracyn {treats columnaris, gram neg bacteria}. you can use both at the same time.

If the infection doesn't get better in about 5 days, you can switch from Maracide to Maroxy {treat for fungus}.

make sure you do a water change if you switch meds. Also complete teh course of treatment.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well i got pretty frustrated trying to get the shark out of the tank, so i pretty much destroyed my scape, and removed all the driftwood and continuing to soak it for another couple of months because i am sick of the tea color! Right now the count is 2 dead tiger barbs and pretty much ravaged fins on the rest of them. one barb still has the white ick on his fins, but the rest seem to be somewhat recovering. My pleco, which others seemed fine with clout, unfortunately has some very red fins and some are partially eaten away !! I removed him ASAP and put him in a secondary ten gallon, which hes sharing with the shark, until I can figure this thing out. Hes still alive just very stressed.

Anything I can do, im all ears! I might just tear the thing down and start from scratch!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ALSO will his fins grow back!!???
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 07:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

red fins indicate a systemic blood infection. Use an antibiotic like Maracyn 2. The shark will be fine with this medication. Corys tolerate it well.

for ich, velvet, and columnaris, I would strongly suggest the combo I mentioned before asap.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 07:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Could also be a yeast/fungus-like infection from DIY CO2...

Maybe try maroxy, which treats for fungus with maracyn.

if youdon't belive me, here is a good source for diagnosis:

http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/symptoms.html
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I believe you, just upset that this happened, im going today to get the combo. Hopefully its not too late. Worried moreso for the pleco now, the tiger barbs seem just fine
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 02:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quick Hijack, sorry...

So free floating worms aren't generally parasites? I have seen a few sp. from the classes Chromadorea, Enoplea, and Secernentea (all nematodes) that are parasitic in aquariums, but maybe they aren't that common? Or am I misinformed?

Just trying to get my facts straight
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just checked on him and his tail(the actual muscle part) appears red and his fins keep receding to wear you can see the bones! You think I should go ahead and dose him with the meds listed above when hes in this condition? Do you think that the Clout would have caused this or was it possibly the ick that was in the tank?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

He also has a yellow spot under his left eye? Any helpful hints there? His fins are just getting thinner and thinner

Today compared to yesterday
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0395.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	21798  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0391.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	21799  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode