Does Amquel or Prime give a false positive ammonia reading? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Does Amquel or Prime give a false positive ammonia reading?

I've added Amquel and Prime to my 20g QT tank to make sure NH3 isn't there. My API test kit still shows 0.25ppm of NH3. Does Amquel or Prime lead to a false reading? The API kit uses two reagents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 04:33 AM
Algae Grower

As I understand it, Amquel and prime don't REMOVE ammonia, they just bind it to make it harmless to fish. So, even if you are getting an ammonia reading, that doesn't mean that the ammonia is able to harm fish in the tank. (this is how I understand it anyway)

If you are CYCLING your tank, you actually WANT ammonia to be in the water because if there is no ammonia the bacteria have nothing to feed on and therefore you can't build up your beneficial bacteria (which is the point of a cycle). But, if you bind it with amquel or prime, it's still usable to the bacteria but not as bad for the fish.

As for the test kits, are they both new? because I know they can expire and if they do expire than you can get incorrect readings.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The test kis are fine because I get zero from my main tank. Anyway, I've found at the Seachem site that Prime will lead to a false reading unless a Seachem test kit is used.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 06:38 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 12:50 PM

Be sure to realize what kind of ammonia test kit (Nessler vs. salicylate) you have as well.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode