Beginner creates a 10G monster - please send help - The Planted Tank Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy Beginner creates a 10G monster - please send help

I'm a couple months into my first nano (not my first tank but it's been so long that it might as well be) and things are going bad. I've basically created an algae farm for at least 3 different kinds of algae, and none of my root plants are growing. At this point, I don't even know if this is fixable, or if I should rip everything out and try again. HELP!

The aquarium is a 10 gal with dwarf baby tears in the foreground, monte carlo in the back left, and java moss on the rocks. The dbt are 95% dead, the mc hasn't grown much at all, and the java moss is pretty happy.

To make a long story short, I tried to get by on as little as possible without really understanding my tank's needs while learning how to balance everything on the fly. The result is a disaster.

I've been incrementally improving my setup each time I think I've figured out what the problem is (buying better lights, injecting CO2, buying ferts) , but nothing has panned out so far. I'm trying to encourage plant growth while killing off algae (varying day lengths, adding CO2, dosing more ferts, etc...) but I have not hit the right balance. Is it even possible at this stage to save the dwarf baby tears while killing off the algae?

Specs (as of last week):
10 gal
Lighting: Finnex planted+ 20" & some cheap amazon thing (Nicrew) 10h/day
pH ~5-6
dKh <1
gH ~1
CO2 @ 1 bps
75 F
Dosing Flourish 1ml every 2-3 days

Previous specs:
10 gal
Lighting: Finnex planted+ 20" & some cheap amazon thing (Nicrew)14h/day
pH ~5-6
dKh <1
gH ~1
CO2 @ 1 bubble every ~10 seconds
78 F
Dosing Flourish 1ml every week
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6204.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	701338  

Name:	IMG_6202.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	701346  

Name:	IMG_6203.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	701354  

Last edited by aotf; 12-19-2016 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Forgot to add temperature change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 03:07 AM
Algae Grower

I would lower your photo period to at least 8, as for the algae try using hydrogen peroxide on the algae during water changes (worked for me) not sure why everything is randomly dieing off though, are you doing your water changes the same ? Same lights ? Same CO2 setup ?
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 03:17 AM
Banned

careful though with the Hydrogen peroxide as it can kill java fern easily

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 03:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Well to start if you're only dosing Flourish, that's not enough. Spend $20 and buy a set of dry fertilizers to cover your micros and macros. You also probably have way too much light as the Planted+ should be plenty enough light for a 10g. Last but not least your co2 levels need a bump, 1 bps per 10 seconds is very little.

If it were me I'd tear it all out and start from scratch.

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickie Briana View Post
I would lower your photo period to at least 8, as for the algae try using hydrogen peroxide on the algae during water changes (worked for me) not sure why everything is randomly dieing off though, are you doing your water changes the same ? Same lights ? Same CO2 setup ?
Lights have changed considerably. I started off with one of the cheap amazon LED arrays (Nicrew), doubled it a couple weeks later, then finally got a Finnex when I realized how bad the cheap ones were. The CO2 has been much lower than it is now. Water changes are like 20% every week and a half although I'm not super regular with them (ammonia is very low).

That said, all the previous changes have been in place for about 2 weeks and I'm still seeing slow but tank-wide death. I'm at a loss. Good to know about the H2O2, I'll give it a shot. Not too concerned about the java moss, that stuff grows like a pest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlewis View Post
Well to start if you're only dosing Flourish, that's not enough. Spend $20 and buy a set of dry fertilizers to cover your micros and macros. You also probably have way too much light as the Planted+ should be plenty enough light for a 10g. Last but not least your co2 levels need a bump, 1 bps per 10 seconds is very little.

If it were me I'd tear it all out and start from scratch.
I'll look into the dry ferts and get some once I decide whether or not to tear everything out, but what strikes me as odd is that I'm not supporting a huge plant-mass so I assumed I'd be ok with Flourish and Amazonia substrate (at least for a while).

I'll also remove the extra lamp I have on there, you're probably right about the Finnex being enough.

The CO2 @ 1 bubble every 10 seconds is from a while ago, it's currently running at 1 bubble per second. Do I need to go higher? I've looked at the dKh vs pH charts for CO2 and it seems like I'm sitting in the right range... except for the part where everything is dead.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 04:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by assofthefist View Post
Lights have changed considerably. I started off with one of the cheap amazon LED arrays (Nicrew), doubled it a couple weeks later, then finally got a Finnex when I realized how bad the cheap ones were. The CO2 has been much lower than it is now. Water changes are like 20% every week and a half although I'm not super regular with them (ammonia is very low).

That said, all the previous changes have been in place for about 2 weeks and I'm still seeing slow but tank-wide death. I'm at a loss. Good to know about the H2O2, I'll give it a shot. Not too concerned about the java moss, that stuff grows like a pest.

I'll look into the dry ferts and get some once I decide whether or not to tear everything out, but what strikes me as odd is that I'm not supporting a huge plant-mass so I assumed I'd be ok with Flourish and Amazonia substrate (at least for a while).

I'll also remove the extra lamp I have on there, you're probably right about the Finnex being enough.

The CO2 @ 1 bubble every 10 seconds is from a while ago, it's currently running at 1 bubble per second. Do I need to go higher? I've looked at the dKh vs pH charts for CO2 and it seems like I'm sitting in the right range... except for the part where everything is dead.
Don't worry about the charts, just aim for a 1 point ph drop. To my knowledge Flourish is basically just micros, so you aren't dosing any macros.

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Don't worry about the charts, just aim for a 1 point ph drop. To my knowledge Flourish is basically just micros, so you aren't dosing any macros.
Cool, thanks. I'll get some Green Leaf Aquarium ferts once I get back from the holidays and start doing the individual dosing myself.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 04:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Cool, thanks. I'll get some Green Leaf Aquarium ferts once I get back from the holidays and start doing the individual dosing myself.
Aquarium Fertilizer | NilocG Aquatics

This is most likely cheaper and you'd be supporting a forum member.
KayakJimW and KayakJimW like this.

Just a noob

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 09:34 AM
nel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your GH and KH are really low, you probably should not only add fertilizers, but some mineralizer too. Plants need some magnesium and calcium.
maxhrbal and maxhrbal like this.

- 120x48x60 cm

- 30x30x30 cm + 30x30x20 cm,
- 33x21x22 cm
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 10:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
lol
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 03:00 PM
Algae Grower

What do you have for livestock?(fish) It doesnt seem like their are many. IMO just setup a small quarantine tank (a bucket will work ) for any fish. Crank up your co2 to at least 2 BBS, downgrade your lights for a while or go to 6 hour photo period, and dose some ferts like they said already.

Do a 50% water change to start it off, spray the crap out of your plants with hydrogen peroxide and do it in the morning !!!!!!

Its all about a balance
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel View Post
Your GH and KH are really low, you probably should not only add fertilizers, but some mineralizer too. Plants need some magnesium and calcium.
Yeahhh, the water here is softer than a baby's butt. I have a block of limestone in the back behind the big rock to help with the buffering. It's helped bring up the pH from below 5 and the gH to above one. If I'm going to change my fert routine, I could also start adding mineralizer to the water, though.

Quote:

I'll check these out then, thanks for the recommendation!

Quote:
What do you have for livestock?(fish) It doesnt seem like their are many. IMO just setup a small quarantine tank (a bucket will work ) for any fish. Crank up your co2 to at least 2 BBS, downgrade your lights for a while or go to 6 hour photo period, and dose some ferts like they said already.

Do a 50% water change to start it off, spray the crap out of your plants with hydrogen peroxide and do it in the morning !!!!!!
This is one area I decided not to mess up: I was setting this tank up for shrimp but wanted to let it settle for a long time before adding adding any livestock so I don't have to worry about hurting anyone (except for some unhappy snails).

I pulled 50% of the water last night, sprayed everything with H2O2, filled it up again, and dosed some Flourish because that's what I have on hand (I heard H2O2 can make certain minerals unavailable). I've shortened the photo period to 8 hours, as per nel's recommendation (but I'll go lower for the next couple days), so all I need to do is bump up CO2 for a bit and I'm on track! Thanks for the tips, fingers crossed.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 12:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Yeahhh, the water here is softer than a baby's butt. I have a block of limestone in the back behind the big rock to help with the buffering. It's helped bring up the pH from below 5 and the gH to above one. If I'm going to change my fert routine, I could also start adding mineralizer to the water, though.

I'll check these out then, thanks for the recommendation!

This is one area I decided not to mess up: I was setting this tank up for shrimp but wanted to let it settle for a long time before adding adding any livestock so I don't have to worry about hurting anyone (except for some unhappy snails).

I pulled 50% of the water last night, sprayed everything with H2O2, filled it up again, and dosed some Flourish because that's what I have on hand (I heard H2O2 can make certain minerals unavailable). I've shortened the photo period to 8 hours, as per nel's recommendation (but I'll go lower for the next couple days), so all I need to do is bump up CO2 for a bit and I'm on track! Thanks for the tips, fingers crossed.
H2o2 kill dwarf baby tears.

Sent from my MX4 using Tapatalk
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Update!

Quote:
as for the algae try using hydrogen peroxide on the algae during water changes (worked for me)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wong View Post
H2o2 kill dwarf baby tears.
Mini update:

I did a H2O2 treatment and it's been about a day and a half.

One of the algae strains in the tank has been nuked (sort of a green algae muck spreading along the floor), but the two others (hair algae and some other, whiter, goopier hair-like algae) are still thriving.

The dwarf baby tears also look worse for the wear, but at this point I'll be happy if I can get rid of the algae at the cost of the dbt (since buying more and replanting is probably faster than recovery anyway).

Not sure if I should continue with H2O2, either the dosage was too low for the other algae or they are just not going to be affected.

Thoughts?

(I'm including pictures, one of the whole tank and one of the patch where the mucky algae has been defeated. Small victories!)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6206.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	701778  

Name:	IMG_6207.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	701786  

BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:

I just ordered NilocG's Thrive, should get here before Christmas.
I figure I'll get individual dry ferts once I've figured out the balance on the rest of the tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode