making stand for 20G 10G combo, just a few questions. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
making stand for 20G 10G combo, just a few questions.

Planning a stand for my 20G. But i also aquirred shrimp from a friend. And I'd rather have a larger shrimp population, and shrimp that are not scared. I don't have room for 2 stands so i was thinking of building a stand that could house both, the 20 on top and 10 on bottom.

Space underneath isn't a problem. But has anyone done this before? Any tips? I have an idea for what I'm doing, but any help would be much appreciated. the 20G would be resting on a frame of 2X4, then sheeted in 3/4" plywood. The 10G is really the question I have at the moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Has anyone done this?
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 02:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Look around at stands at LFS's or pics online. Make sure you get everything reasonably flat and square and you should have no problems with tanks that size and the materials you mentioned. One tip would be to construct the stand so that the weight is supported by the wood, and not the fasteners.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Tomorrow I'll upload a drawing i did, to scale, of what it would look like. I just want the shrimp to be in their own tank, so they don't have the babies eaten constantly. May also give me the chance to mess with java moss since it'll be a lower light tank.

If your interested.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 02:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Yeah, post it up, that would be cool.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

alright It's not... pretty, but It'll be better then where it's at. I may make it where it has a full door but that may need bracing.

I want the 10G just to appear like it's part of the stand. So basically a cut out in the stand, where the front glass shows through. If that makes sense, but where i still can have full access to the tank.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 02:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
sounds pretty cool, I can't wait to see how it comes out! I'd love to see the plans.

Also, try using the search function and exploring the DIY forums, I bet you'll find some helpful info even if someone else hasn't done this exact project

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I may have to make the stand a little bit deeper.. but that's fine it'll look more against the wall that way. and give the HOB filter more room.
Who knows, will be another 2 weeks before i can start this, too the beach we go...
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Here's just a rough drawing, I have all the measurements on paper. It'd be a 2X4 frame, with plywood cover.

Last edited by fishykid1; 11-21-2010 at 12:12 PM.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 04:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Looks like it's going to be pretty cool!

I can't quite tell from your drawing if this is true, but do you have 3 compatrmens on the bottom because you are going to have 2 center braces to support the 10g so that, as someone else suggested, it will be wood and not fasteners supporting the tank? If so then it looks great!

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 04:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If you make the doors double doors, they will tend to sag a lot less, and it should look even better, more proportional. I haven't seen a stand like this done before, so it will be very interesting to see how it works out. And, a single support under the ten gallon tank shelf would work ok. Ten gallon tanks aren't that heavy.

Hoppy
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 05:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
If you make the doors double doors, they will tend to sag a lot less, and it should look even better, more proportiona. And, a single support under the ten gallon tank shelf would work ok. Ten gallon tanks aren't that heavy.
Both excellent points from a construction standpoint!!! (And aesthetic!)

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hoppy, that's a great idea! Only problem is it would be harder for the top, wouldn't it? Or would I just put one of the magnet stoppers that's on a lot of aquarium stands that you see with glass doors? I can't have any 2X4 there, because of the 10G tank.

The top door would be just to access the 10G. And sorry krackle, i thought of the 3 compartments as i was uploading it. I'm thinking 2 would look cleaner? One door for each one? I'm not taking any chances with a possibility of either tank bowing/cracking.

I hope everything just goes as planned. On another note, my mom mentioned that if i sold my PS3 I could get to work on a larger tank. "lesser of two evils" she says.

Does anyone know of a free or cheaper software to do rendering or planning?
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 04:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Most lumber stores have 2 x 3's. I think I would make a rectangular frame of 2 x 3's for the top of the frame, then have a 3/4" plywood top on that, to hold the 20 gallon tank. Attach that to the vertical 2 x 4's with steel mending plates. Then the outside skin hides the 2 x 3 frame and the mending plates.

Hoppy
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

lost me on the mending plates, the whole frame has a skin on it. There will be no internal structure showing. I'm not quite following you hoppy.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode