What fert program do you use?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What fert program do you use??

I have been doing alot of reading on what fert program to use and have found alot use the EI program. I have 2.6wpg of light and presurized co2 with medium plants in the tank. I have been having trouble controlling BGA as well. What would you suggest i do and i have all the indergents ready eg kno3, potassium phosphate.

Thanks Axl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

would this be fine

+/- 1 1/2 tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- tsp (30ml) Trace Elements 3x a week
50% weekly water change

tank is roughly 100g
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 12:24 PM
tug
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hi axl10,

A couple of things provide an environment for BGA. One is light. I might suggest 1.7wpg, raising your light, or adding some window screen, if the lights you are using are T5HO. If there is a lot of light from an outside source hitting the glass along the substrate, add some tape to block it out. Another thing, in the areas where you see BGA, try ways to increase the water flow to that area. So, increase water flow with a powerhead and reduce the amount of light reaching the areas where you find BGA.

EI is based on a fully planted tank. Lots of plants. I mean lots. So while dosing the amount your suggesting would be fine, you could also dose 1/2 that amount initially and still provide enough nutrients for your plants. I would recommend the full dose on the first two days and 1/2 doses the last four days until your plants fill in. You might also want to look at your local water quality report and add a GH booster if your water is low in Ca and Mg.

I hope this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Roll Your Own.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks for the info, i have got 2.6pgw of light and there is a door with glass in it near the tank, so maybe woth putting a curtin on there??? I installed a powerhead 3 weeks ago and it hasnt made any difference to the BGA. The BGA is only only the sand substrate and not the plants
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 08:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
Low nitrates sometimes cause bga. If dosing nitrates doesn't work, you can try dosing em and then doing a 3 day blackout. That should get rid of the bga.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

cant get em here in australia and have tried black out which has worked well but it killed alot of plants because of a ammonia spike. Im going to try dosing peroxide and PMDD ferts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 11:50 AM
tug
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
It takes time. Adding nutrients (NO3) and improving the water circulation will address the underlying problems, but will take time to show results. Adding tape to the glass along the substrate temporarily to reduce the light to specific areas can also help. The curtain sounds like a good idea. Make sure the powerhead is working with the flow from the main filter and not fighting against it.

Watch your CO2/O2. CO2 for the plants, O2 for the With light and added nutrients (EI) at high levels, carbon will become the limiting nutrient to watch. Increase CO2 slightly, (pick a day you will be able to watch the fish all day) and wait a few weeks before deciding whether you need to add more. I hope this helps you. It worked for me. It just takes time.

Roll Your Own.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode