LIGHTING Question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
LIGHTING Question

so i bought A book " THE 101 BEST AQUARIUM PLANTS" and ive been looking throught it. it says 12 hours is required..........is this true???

29 gallon biocube (sw) MJ1200, vortech MP10, stunner Led's, custom sump/refugium, + MORE
planted tank = .........currently working on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 02:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Depends on how intense the light is. I only run about 7.5-8 hours on my tank

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 02:40 AM

I would check when the book was published; older books tend to have slightly erroneous information that seems to propagate about...

I also only have 8 hours of lighting on my tanks.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

book published 2008

i have a 29 gallon, with GLO 2x24watt T5 HO light fixture.

so 8ish hours would be good for me?

also i have no idea what plants to look at in this book..........
*low light
*medium light
*bright light

any help on that would be amazing also

thanks to all who replied
-mike-

29 gallon biocube (sw) MJ1200, vortech MP10, stunner Led's, custom sump/refugium, + MORE
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 05:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Low light plants grow very well in high light, so you can pick any plants that appeal to you, since you do have very high light. In fact it would make your life easier if you were to hang that fixture about 6-8 inches above the top of the tank, to get high medium light and much better uniformity of light all over the tank. Whether you do that or not, you need CO2 with that much light. DIY CO2 is not likely to be either enough or consistent enough with that much light.

Hoppy
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 03:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Plants tend to operate in one of two modes.

When the lights are on, plants grow very little, instead devoting their attention to photosynthesis and storing chemical energy. Imagine they have a "gas tank", like a car, that they're filling up.

When the lights are off, they devote their attention to growing using the energy they've stored away in their gas tank.

The capacity of the gas tank is limited, but it's often enough for several days of growth. It's common to see an impressive burst of plant growth if you skip a light cycle or two.

With brighter lights, the gas tank fills up faster. If the lights are on for 12 hours instead of 8, that means the plants have four hours less dark time each day to actually grow and use what's in their gas tank.

And when the lights come back on, the gas tank is still rather full, so it tops off in just a few hours. The rest of the time the lights are on is wasted as far as the plants are concerned; since they can neither gain energy nor grow during that time.

Algae, on the other hand, seems to be able to photosynthesize and grow at the same time; so they love long, bright photoperiods.

That's a simplified explanation of why we shorten the photoperiod a few hours when using bright lights.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCobra View Post

When the lights are on, plants grow very little, instead devoting their attention to photosynthesis and storing chemical energy. Imagine they have a "gas tank", like a car, that they're filling up.

When the lights are off, they devote their attention to growing using the energy they've stored away in their gas tank.

The capacity of the gas tank is limited, but it's often enough for several days of growth. It's common to see an impressive burst of plant growth if you skip a light cycle or two.

With brighter lights, the gas tank fills up faster. If the lights are on for 12 hours instead of 8, that means the plants have four hours less dark time each day to actually grow and use what's in their gas tank.

And when the lights come back on, the gas tank is still rather full, so it tops off in just a few hours. The rest of the time the lights are on is wasted as far as the plants are concerned; since they can neither gain energy nor grow during that time.

Algae, on the other hand, seems to be able to photosynthesize and grow at the same time; so they love long, bright photoperiods.

That's a simplified explanation of why we shorten the photoperiod a few hours when using bright lights.
awesome very helpful
so 8 hours like the other said would be good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Low light plants grow very well in high light, so you can pick any plants that appeal to you, since you do have very high light. In fact it would make your life easier if you were to hang that fixture about 6-8 inches above the top of the tank, to get high medium light and much better uniformity of light all over the tank. Whether you do that or not, you need CO2 with that much light. DIY CO2 is not likely to be either enough or consistent enough with that much light.
right now it is hung 5.5 inchs from the top..... should i go up more?

Also i have DIYco2, with 2 bottles going. i do plan to get a decent CO2 set up, but dont have $400 right now as im having a fuge/sump built for my marine tank
will DIY co2 be ok for like 2 months?

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 07:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPevine11 View Post
so 8 hours like the other said would be good?

right now it is hung 5.5 inchs from the top..... should i go up more?
Hoppy has a ton of experience with lighting, I trust his recommendations.

Quote:
will DIY co2 be ok for like 2 months?
It should be fine for now. Keep on top of your CO2 levels and replace DIY bottles on a regular, rotating basis. If algae starts getting out of hand, you might have to move the lights up some more.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

looking to get some plants from the fourm here.
5 Hygrophila sp. Tiger
1 Hyptis Lorentziana
3 Limnophila mini 'Vietnam' (2"- 3")
5 Lindernia sp. 'India'
4 Nesaea Triflora
3 Pogostemon Yatabeanus
2 Polygonum Sao Paulo
5 Rotala H'Ra
4 Rotala Macrandra mini Butterfly
4 Rotala Mexicana Goias
5 Rotala Singapore
5 Rotala mini Type 2

Length of stems is between 3"-6"...

would these be ok under my condtions?

Quote:
"I never used DIY CO2, but do you run it 24hrs, right? DIY co2 is fine, as long as your tank has enough co2 available before lights on (at least 15ppm)..."
the guy selling the plants said that....... would i beable to do this with DIY co2?

please help

thank you for all the help this far
-mike-

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 10:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
the guy selling the plants said that....... would i beable to do this with DIY co2?
Pressurized CO2 can be shut off during lights out via a solenoid and timer, to conserve CO2 when it's not really needed. It's convenient to put the solenoid and lights on the same timer; but better to put solenoid on a separate timer that turns on an hour before the lights, so the CO2 levels have a chance to come up before the lights turn on.

It sounds like the "before lights on" part of the advice you quoted comes from experience with pressurized CO2, not DIY.

DIY CO2 runs 24 hours a day. You can't turn it off to conserve it via a solenoid or manual valve, because the bottles might explode due to pressure buildup.

So all that's left is the ppm recommendation. If you've gotten your drop checker yet, and it's green, you're good to go.

Of course, there are many different techniques and exceptions. Some people choose to run pressurized CO2 24 hours a day, which "wastes" CO2 but may have benefits as a result of avoiding CO2/pH fluctuations. And there's a recent thread discussing possible methods to successfully shut off and store DIY CO2 at night.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:

Well articulated.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Pressurized CO2 can be shut off during lights out via a solenoid and timer, to conserve CO2 when it's not really needed. It's convenient to put the solenoid and lights on the same timer; but better to put solenoid on a separate timer that turns on an hour before the lights, so the CO2 levels have a chance to come up before the lights turn on.

It sounds like the "before lights on" part of the advice you quoted comes from experience with pressurized CO2, not DIY.

DIY CO2 runs 24 hours a day. You can't turn it off to conserve it via a solenoid or manual valve, because the bottles might explode due to pressure buildup.

So all that's left is the ppm recommendation. If you've gotten your drop checker yet, and it's green, you're good to go.

Of course, there are many different techniques and exceptions. Some people choose to run pressurized CO2 24 hours a day, which "wastes" CO2 but may have benefits as a result of avoiding CO2/pH fluctuations. And there's a recent thread discussing possible methods to successfully shut off and store DIY CO2 at night.

im still waiting on my 4dkh soultion, im thinkink it should come today......its almost mail time.

and he was talikng of pressureized CO2.......which i want to get a.s.a.p

thank you for the info

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 06:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
With DIY CO2 I would raise the lights enough to drop the intensity into the medum or even low medium range. That would require raising the light to about 8-9 inches above the top of the tank. Once you let algae get started growing in an aquarium it can be a long frustrating experience to get it stopped and cleared out. Much better to try to avoid it even starting.

Hoppy
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 06:30 PM
ShrimpRetirement

PTrader: (397/100%)
Quote:

Learn something new everyday.

|
|
|
|
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

i got it up to 8 inchs now, will my current plants be ok with this lighting? when i get a CO2 system do i put the lights lower ahain?

Also i am running a glass top....should i keep that on or off?i feel like it reflects the light so the tank doesnt get as much light?? i have cardnal tatras, and a pearl guaurmi. will these fish jump?
do you guys run top's or no?

also i got my 4DKH soultion in today. i put it in my checker rather then the aquarium water right now the color in the checker is light green, but its only been in there for like maybe 2 hours. not sure if its reading my co2 in my aquarium yet? not sure how long that takes?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode