Emergency!!! Major - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Emergency!!! Major

A friend of mines tank just sprang a leak, over 5 gallons over night and he has RCS and some ottos in the tank. I'm going to be putting them in my 20G planted

The tank that i have is
temp:76
nitrates(ive heard they can affect shrimp): 10-15ppm
ammonia: 0 ppm

has koralia nano, but its high in tank very top. and filter will have a filter cartridge covering it.

bunch of algae all over the place in the tank. have a lot of java moss with thread algae on it...and just overall cover in the tank for them to get places to hide if the danios like them..

this is an emergency situation and i know that it's not set up for them yet, but it's better then drying out in a leaking tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 11:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Get your friends filter and filter media as he won't be needing it for awhile. This will help stabilize your tank. Any tank decorations and plants from his tank won't hurt. If possible maybe scoop some of his substrate into a mesh bag and put it in your tank. A lot of the good bacteria reside in the substrate.

Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 11:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
I dont see any problem with this. Just acclimate them well. The Danios "could" eat some of the smaller ones but i wouldnt be too worried about it. Im sure they will enjoy all the algae too. Good luck.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

the tank im transferring them into is fully established and everything. so i don't have to worry about ammonia. the tank is pretty heavily planted with java moss patches throughout. my little danios are well fed so they dont chase much.

i'm probably going to have these little guys for at least a month, until he gets back from his trip in brazil.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 12:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
i woultdnt worry about getting filter media or anything like that, you're not introducing a huge bioload to your tank so it wont be bad.

shrimp can be sensitive to nitrates but only to the nitrates from the end result of your cycle. the nitrate that you dose wont affect them.

get the koralia out of there. its a shrimp chopping machine. and just make sure that the filter intake is covered

unfortuantely i think that the danios are probably gonna pick at the shrimp. once they see the shrimp moving around they might attack them out of instinct.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I'm only putting a filter cartridge over the intake as there is babies coming with the adults, and rather not get them sucked up by it. I'll put a net over the powerhead but i can't take it out because that's what's keeping good water movement through the tank, and it's really high up, almost at the surface of the water so i don't think the shrimp will wander up. the nano's blade cover is very small. only about 1/8th of an inch slot
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 12:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

they will go to the top. they go to the top of my 55g. hope the net works for you
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

same here, i have a canister filter bag that i can wrap around it tightly and hold it using the magnet until i can figure out a better spot. but for now.. its kind of keeping them from definitely dying of no water...

Is there anything else that i need to know before adding them to my tank. I don't want to risk killing them, for something stupid that i forgot.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 02:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishykid1 View Post
I'm only putting a filter cartridge over the intake as there is babies coming with the adults, and rather not get them sucked up by it. I'll put a net over the powerhead but i can't take it out because that's what's keeping good water movement through the tank, and it's really high up, almost at the surface of the water so i don't think the shrimp will wander up. the nano's blade cover is very small. only about 1/8th of an inch slot
they will most certainly go to the top of the tank. I have many cherry's that "tug boat" it across the tank in front of the fish nightly, they even have extreme sports games they play IE grabbing a flake mid water and trying to swim away with it before the fish see.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 02:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

right, or hangin upside down and surfing on duckweed
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwag2001 View Post
right, or hangin upside down and surfing on duckweed

that made me laugh, for whatever reason.

Hopefully they make it through the trip to my house... I suppose I am now the RCS EMS.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

UPDATE: (if it matters to anyone)

The cherry shrimp that his mom caught and brought all survived so far. Currently acclimating and everyon seems happy. Still have their bright red color. So can only hope the best
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

UPDATE#2: danios DID NOT touch the RCS as they were finding spots to chill. 2 females are berried. Otto's are oddly swimming with my 2 SAE's. RCS are nice red color some are very very red. youngest ones are even showing a bit of red.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 03:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Sounds like it's working out well - good job! Here's hoping the danios continue to mind their own business
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

They're too busy playing tag with the otto's and my bigger SAE's. They are all REALLY red now. Is this a sign that they are adapting well? It's only been 2 hours, but when I got them they were clearer.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode