Dirty Tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dirty Tank?

I am struggling with what seems to be a lot of particles of some sort in the tank. They settle on the plants and then they do not look as good.

I was originally doing water changes once a week, maybe 33% each time. I have bumped that up to twice a week, about 50% each time. That seems to help but not solving the issue. Although I have only done that for 3 weeks so that is only 6 water changes.

I am attaching an image, the small plants up close seem to get coated with stuff, the algae eaters will get some of it off now and then, but not all of it. Not sure if that is algae or if I have other issues.

I do have small amounts of BBA around and some other algae. I am struggling big time with this tank. I have CO2 going (couldn't tell you how much CO2 is int he water though). I am slamming in about 4-5 bubbles per second in a 30 gallon tank, the fish seem to be OK.

Picture below. Any thoughts on why there would seem to be so many particles in the tank. If I do anything in the tank it just stirs it all up and then it settles on the plants.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 03:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I would stay on the once a week changes. Check your numbers and see if anything is high, this may narrow down the culprit.

My first initial guess is that your filter is really dirts, filled with buildup and its being pushed into the tank.

Your gravel may also need a brief cleaning with a vacuum tube.. I usually never need to clean the gravel in a tank, but really old ones tend to get some serious buildup.

Also make sure you aren't over feeding or overstocked on fish.

My only other thought is if you have plecos, lots of them, they tend to be really really messy. I breed ABN Plecos and they make such a mess after eating...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No plecos. I have (2) really small algae eaters, forget what they are called.

The filter is clean. I cleaned it yesterday just in case (it had only been a month and it is a good sized canister filter) and it was near spotless inside.

Over stocked is a possibility. I broke down a large tank at home and brought the fish here. I have to be near the limit if not slightly over it.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 04:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

They are probably ottos and I wouldn't worry about them.

Tank parameters? Ammonia/Nitrites/Nitrates?

Some fish are just messy, I cant really see the problem in your picture though.

Any goldfish?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No gold fish. The tank looks good until I get my hands in it and things get stirred around some. Just seems messier than it should be. If it was not settling on the plants and making them look dusty (so to speak) then I would not worry about it.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 05:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah just do a good vacuuming of the substrate and keep up on the normal stuff. I bet it will be fine after that. Good luck
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 06:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
I have this in both my tanks. In my ten gallon, I just lightly vacuum the gravel (shrimp tank). In my 29g, I blast the bottom of the tank with a powerhead once a month right before doing a water change. It kicks the mulm up that's at the surface of the substrate, and I don't usually get it all, but it helps in keeping the tank clean. I've done this method for years, and I find it works pretty good.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Rita Mae Brown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 07:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Is that an anubias that's planted in the substrate in the front left corner? or what is that plant
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 07:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishykid1 View Post
Is that an anubias that's planted in the substrate in the front left corner? or what is that plant
I think I am thinking what you are thinking that anubias shouldn't be planted like that. The rhizome should be above the substrate.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 07:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
More flow, more filtration.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by EntoCraig View Post
I think I am thinking what you are thinking that anubias shouldn't be planted like that. The rhizome should be above the substrate.
Do I have it too far under the substrate? I better go find some examples of what I am suppose to do...
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 03:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis4you View Post
Do I have it too far under the substrate? I better go find some examples of what I am suppose to do...
Just make sure the Rhizome is above the gravel, it will do a lot better. somthing like this:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode