Water Flow RINA XP3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
JWA
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Water Flow RINA XP3

I am using the RINA xp3 with the wand on a 55 gallon tank. There seems no good place to position this that doesn't create way too much current and yet provide flow to all dead spots.
I'm guessing that I probably should get some kind of different outflow that allows the pump to work at maximum flow yet cut down the outflow speed.
Currently I have it 3 inches down from the far side of the intake and my Otos could surfboard across it if inclined
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 09:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Is the tank empty? I'm asking because I had an Xp3 on a fairly heavily planted 50g and ended up adding a Eheim 2026 for extra flow. :s

The Xp3 worked well until my plants started getting denser, and then the extra flow was needed IMO.

Fwiw, I had the Rena spraybar aimed from the rear wall of the tank towards the lower front and it did quite well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 06:41 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have the same problem. The standard flow from the spray bar is too strong. My fish were always stressed and my plants were blowing around way too much. My temporary solution is to install the valve that came with it and restrict flow .
Others I know have enlarged the factory holes by drilling. This is probably better as you can attain more flow, but less powerful..
What I plan on doing is running a spray bar across the entire back bottom, maybe 2 inches up from substrat, aiming the nozzles about 45 deg up. I plan on having a valve to fine tune flow.
Any idea where I can get a couple of spray bars?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode